Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Coventry 0 Stanley 0

Reds unable to make a breakthrough against ten-men

2 November 2019

Match Reports

Coventry 0 Stanley 0

Reds unable to make a breakthrough against ten-men

2 November 2019

Accrington Stanley ended a run of two league defeats but were unable to grab a win against 10-men Coventry.

Chances were at a premium throughout the game at Birmingham’s St Andrew’s Trillions Trophy Stadium but the Reds had the advantage when Max Biamou saw red after a challenge on Mark Hughes on 68 minutes.

Both Joe Pritchard and Colby Bishop had good chances but weren’t able to turn them into three points for the Reds against promotion-chasing Coventry.

Stanley survived a scramble early on with keeper Dimi Evtimov keeping out Liam Kelly’s strike and then the stopper was fouled in the follow-up.

The Reds came close on eight minutes after a defensive mistake allowed Pritchard to race one-on-one with Marko Marosi but his strike was comfortable for the keeper.

Chances were limited and, while Coventry broke at pace at times, Stanley’s defence were always equal to it.

And, on the stroke of half-time, the Reds could have taken the lead.

Stirker Bishop almost broke the deadlock, getting on the end of Jerome Opoku’s cross a couple of yards out, and his header whisked inches over the crossbar.

Then, in the next attack, the Coventry defence deflected a Sean McConville cross into the arms of Marosi – the ball could have gone anywhere.

At half-time, there was just one shot on target from each side, with neither keeper having a real save to make.

After the re-start, Evtimov was the first stopper in action, keeping out a Biamou strike at the near post.

Amadou Bakayoko had the next chance, getting the ball in space in the Stanley box, but he couldn’t find the target with his effort.

Both sides made early substitutions in the second half, with Offrande Zanzala entering the fray around the hour mark for John Coleman’s men

Coventry were reduced to 10-men on 68 minutes when Biamou was sent off for a challenge on defender Hughes on the halfway line as both challenged for a high ball.

Stanley then enjoyed a spell of pressure without testing Marosi and Coventry were still a threat – Evtimov ending up needing treatment after a goalmouth scramble.

The Reds couldn’t find a breakthrough and it needed a last ditch save from Evtimov from Bakayoko after he broke quickly to make sure they left with a point.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account