Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Scunthorpe 2 Stanley 0

9 February 2019

Club News

Scunthorpe 2 Stanley 0

9 February 2019

Stanley are still on the hunt for their first league goal and first league win of 2019 after losing 2-0 at Scunthorpe.

The Irons are one of the current in-form teams in League One and they now have six wins in their last eight games which has propelled them into 14th place - leapfrogging the Reds, although Stanley have games in hand.

John Coleman gave QPR loan frontman Paul Smyth his full Stanley debut for the trip to Glanford Park.

It was the Irons who started strongly, George Thomas forcing Jonny Maxted into a one-handed save on seven minutes.

Scunthorpe took the lead on 13 minutes when Kyle Wootton smashed a strike from the edge of the area, beyond the diving Maxted who just couldn't get there.

Stanley looked to get back in it on 17 minutes but Mark Hughes headed over while, at the other end, Maxted dived low to deny Lee Novak.

The Reds were still on the hunt and Sean McConville couldn't connect cleanly with a volley at the far post on 26 minutes and it was collected by keeper Jak Alnwick.

Jordan Clark fired over the bar, Smyth's effort was held by Alnwick while Billy Kee's goalbound strike was blocked by Harrison McGahey.

Scunthorpe doubled their advantage when sub Kevin van Veen, who had only been on the pitch a few minutes, turned, made space for himself and fired past Maxted into the top of the net on 42 minutes.

Kee had a chance to get one back before the break, getting on the end of a Ben Richards-Everton header, but his shot was just wide of the post.

After the re-start, Stanley started well, Janoi Donacien tried his luck from distance while McConville, at the back post, just couldn't find the target after getting on the end of Smyth's cross.

Midfielder Dan Barlaser did have the ball in the back of the net on 58 minutes but it was ruled off-side while winger Clark did well to get into the box but dragged his effort wide.

Van Veen fired over for the Irons while Stanley sub Luke Armstrong saw a chance loop over the bar as the Reds looked for a much-needed goal.

Frontman Offrande Zanzala came on as the Reds upped the pressure with Kee firing over the bar while Coleman's side appealed for handball in the area on 80 minutes but nothing was given.

Zanzala fired wide from a tight angle in injury-time as Stanley left Scunthorpe empty-handed.

The Reds have now gone six league games without a goal - a club record they don't want.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account