Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rochdale 1 Stanley 0

24 November 2018

Club News

Rochdale 1 Stanley 0

24 November 2018

Stanley slipped to 1-0 defeat at Rochdale with Ian Henderson scoring a 63rd minute winner.

The Reds created some good chances but were either denied by Josh Lillis or fired off-target as they left the Crown Oil Arena empty-handed.

They stayed in tenth place in League One with Dale five points behind them.

Stanley started well with Dan Barlaser testing Lillis in the first minute, racing towards goal and forcing Lillis to turn his effort around the post.

The corner resulted in a goalmouth scramble with Stanley appealing for a penalty but referee Lee Probert waved away any claims.

Rochdale went up the other end with Mark Hughes having to block a Joe Rafferty effort in a lively start.

As the game settled down, Nick Anderton also got on the end of a good move but his strike was inches wide of the post while Jordan Clark fired into the side-netting.

At the other end, Rochdale winger Bradden Inman had a shot blocked while Connor Ripley collected a header from Henderson.

Billy Kee came close to opening the scoring in a real goalmouth scramble as he was denied twice from close range by Lillis.

Just before half-time Sean McConville got the ball to the left of the area but Lillis blocked his shot while Inman had a great chance for Dale which was also kept out.

After the break, Newcastle loan midfielder Barlaser saw his thunderous strike deflected while Offrande Zanzala headed over the resulting corner.

Dale were a threat and Stephen Dooley set up Rafferty but he blasted over while sub Calvin Andrew forced a good save out of Ripley.

Dale took the lead in the 63rd minute from a Matty Done corner which was headed home by  Henderson from close range – his 101st goal for Rochdale.

Keith Hill's side looked to double their advantage as Rafferty played a dangerous ball across the box but luckily for Stanley no one could get on the end of it while Dooley also raced into the area but his shot was blocked.

At the other end, a Barlaser free kick sailed just over the bar and Kee turned and fired goalwards from the edge of the area but it was inches off-target.

Sub Sam Finley also blasted a shot inches above the crossbar while fellow sub Connor Hall headed over as the Reds couldn't find an equaliser.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account