Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

25 September 2021 Venue Mazuma Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

REPORT: Morecambe 3 Stanley 3

Bishop scores a double but Stanley are held by ten-man Shrimps in Lancashire derby

25 September 2021

Colby Bishop scored a double against ten-man Morecambe but the honours were shared in the Lancashire derby.

In a frantic first half, Cole Stockton gave the Shrimps the lead before Bishop levelled from the penalty spot.

Matt Butcher fired the Reds into the lead before ex-Red loanee Phillips made it all-square.

Shane McLoughlin was sent off on 38 minutes and Stanley capitalised on the one-man advantage when Bishop tapped home on 68 minutes.

However, Stockton struck again with nine minutes to go and, while it halted a run of two defeats for Stanley and continued a strong record for John Coleman’s men at the Mazuma Stadium, the management will feel it’s a chance wasted for the visitors.

Coleman gave striker Lewis Mansell the nod for his first EFL start while ex-Shrimps winger John O’Sullivan and captain Seamus Conneely returned from an injury-hit start to the season.

David Morgan missed out through injury while Harry Pell, after suspension, returned to the bench.

After early chances for both sides in an entertaining start, Morecambe took the lead when Burnley loan midfielder Phillips sent Stockton free and he raced forward, took a touch in the area and fired the ball past James Trafford on 15 minutes.

Stanley were level on 19 minutes when ex-Red loan defender Liam Gibson clipped Mansell in the area and Bishop blasted the ball home from the penalty spot for his first EFL goal this season.

The Reds then took the lead two minutes later when Butcher got the ball on the edge of the area, turned towards goal and drilled the ball into the far corner of the net.

However it was all-square on 27 minutes when Arthur Gnahoua’s cross from the left found Phillips in the six yard box and he made it 2-2.

O’Sullivan headed wide for Stanley and then Morecambe were reduced to 10-men on 38 minutes when midfielder McLoughlin was sent off – a straight red - for a late challenge on Ethan Hamilton in the centre circle.

Towards the end of the half, Bishop fired wide, Butcher was also off-target while Hamilton’s strike was saved by Kyle Letheren.

With a man advantage, Stanley did most of the pressing in the second half. Midfielder Hamilton had an early effort saved after the re-start while Butcher’s strike was straight at the Morecambe keeper.

O’Sullivan headed into the side netting while Coleman put on Pell and Jack Nolan on 63 minutes as they searched for what should have been an all-important third.

It came on 68 minutes when McConville’s shot took a deflection and landed at the feet of Bishop who had the easy task to tap his second of the game over the line, with Letheren stranded.

A timely tackle by Conneely stopped Stockton a clean shot on goal while, at the other end, O’Sullivan made space in the area but couldn’t find the target.

Morecambe equalised on 81 minutes when a mis-placed backpass meant Stockton got the ball with only Trafford to beat and he blasted the ball home.




Stanley: Trafford, Sherring, Sykes, Nottingham, O’Sullivan, Butcher, Conneely (Leigh 78), Hamilton (Nolan 63), McConville, Mansell (Pell 63), Bishop

Stanley subs: Savin, Leigh, Clark, Amankwah, Malcolm

Yellow: Hamilton

Attendance: 4142

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account