Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Morecambe 1 Stanley 1

Leigh's penalty means it's honours even in the Lancashire derby

3 October 2023

Match Reports

REPORT: Morecambe 1 Stanley 1

Leigh's penalty means it's honours even in the Lancashire derby

3 October 2023

Tommy Leigh scored his third goal of the season as the points were shared in an action-packed Lancashire derby with Morecambe at the Mazuma Mobile Stadium.

The Shrimps, unbeaten at home this season, had taken the lead in the second half through James Connolly.

However they only held onto it for six minutes before Leigh stroked the ball home from the penalty spot to make sure it was honours even in the League Two clash.

Jack Nolan and Matt Lowe came into the attacking line-up as the Reds looked to halt a run of two defeats.

Both sides were at it from the off with Nolan’s second minute free kick saved by keeper Stuart Moore while a strike by Ben Woods was too high.

Stanley keeper Jon McCracken then kept it all-square on seven minutes, his leg denying Jordan Slew after a quick Morecambe breakaway.

Nolan’s corner skimmed the crossbar while Michael Mellon’s dangerous cross was cleared before Slew could run onto it as the game went from end-to-end.

Kelvin Mellor headed off-target while Brad Hills blocked a Mellon strike as the chances kept coming.

On 30 minutes, Stanley broke away quickly with Joe Pritchard finding Matt Lowe in the area but he couldn’t guide his effort on target.

Just after, Jake Taylor had a great chance to give the Shrimps the lead, chipping over McCracken but Mellor got back to head the goalbound effort out for a corner.

On 33 minutes, Stanley counter-attacked and Nolan’s strike was headed clear while, five minutes later, Mellon’s goalbound strike was parried away by McCracken.

Slew rifled across the goal at the end of a pulsating first half with the score goalless.

The second half continued to be lively with JJ McKiernan breaking through with McCracken keeping out his shot and Ben Woods having to race back to stop the ball rolling over the line.

On 57 minutes, McCracken was in action again, pushing away a Slew curling effort.

Morecambe opened the scoring on 64 minutes but the Reds appealed for a foul in the build-up, after they felt Rosaire Longelo was pushed off the ball by Eli King.

Instead King got the ball on the wing and played the ball to Slew at the far post who blasted it into a busy six yard box with Connolly firing home from close range.

It was level on 70 minutes when Tom Bloxham caught substitute Shaun Whalley in the area Leigh sent keeper Moore the wrong way from the penalty spot.

Josh Andrews fired narrowly wide just after while Ben Woods blasted over as the Reds looked for a winning goal.

It was a frantic finale in a lively atmosphere and Slew had a great chance to win it for the Shrimps in added time but rifled over the bar as neither side could claim the bragging rights.


Stanley: McCracken, Mellor (Whalley), Gubbins (Pickles), Hills, Longelo, (Shipley) B Woods, Leigh (Martin), Nolan, Andrews, Pritchard, Lowe

Subs: McIntyre, O’Brien, J Woods


Yellow Card: Jimmy Bell (assistant manager), Whalley, Hills, Andrews


Attendance: 3,458 (320 from asfc)


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account