Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stanley 1 Portsmouth 3

Both sides reduced to 10 men with Adedoyin on target for Reds

14 March 2023

Match Reports

REPORT: Stanley 1 Portsmouth 3

Both sides reduced to 10 men with Adedoyin on target for Reds

14 March 2023

Accrington Stanley lost 3-1 to Portsmouth but remain out of the relegation places, with both sides reduced to ten men.

Keeper Lukas Jensen saw red for Stanley in the 10th minute, with the Reds forced to play 80 minutes a man down.

Pompey scored either side of the break before Joe Pigott was sent off for them in the 66th minute after a late challenge on replacement keeper Toby Savin.

Ex-Red Colby Bishop made the game safe for Pompey before Cody Adedoyin headed home an 88th minute consolation for the Reds.

John Coleman made two changes, bringing back goalkeeper Jensen and Sean McConville both after bans, with Savin dropping to the bench and Rosaire Longelo out injured.

Stanley started off on the front foot and within seconds Shaun Whalley’s 40-yard drive wasn’t far off the top corner of the net.

But on ten minutes Jensen was sent off for coming out and catching Paddy Lane – referee David Rock deemed it a goalscoring opportunity and showed the Burnley loan keeper red for his second game running, although play initially carried on and Reeco Hackett fired over the empty goal.

Savin came on with Dan Martin sacrificed and Pompey took the lead on 13 minutes when, from the resulting free kick, they played the ball out to the right and Lane’s cross was headed home by Joe Pigott.

It continued to be problems for the Reds with, on 21 minutes, Mo Sangare limping off and Baba Fernandes replacing him.

However it was then all Stanley for the rest of the half as the ten-men hunted for an equaliser.

Aaron Pressley headed wide, there were a number of dangerous balls into the box, Whalley blasted just over and also into ex-Reds loan keeper Matt Macey’s arms with another strike.

Fernandes made two good headed clearances but Pompey’s only shot on target in the first half was the goal.

At the end of the half, Tharme got the ball in the six-yard box and, stretching, beat Macey but his effort hit the top of the bar.

The second half carried on with Stanley on top, Harvey Rodgers firing wide.

However, Pompey made it two on 57 minutes when the ball fell to Hackett on the edge of the area and he rifled the ball home.

Pigott saw red for Portsmouth on 66 minutes for a late tackle on Savin.

Stanley came close to getting one back on 76 minutes but Tharme’s close range diving header was pushed out by Macey.

Substitute Matt Lowe headed against the crossbar two minutes later but then, on 81 minutes, Pompey made it three with Bishop scoring against his former club – and not celebrating his 20th goal of the campaign.

Adedoyin got the goal the Reds deserved as he makes his way back from long-term injury.

With other results, Stanley remain two points ahead of 21st placed MK Dons.


Stanley: Jensen, Rodgers, Tharme, Sangare (Fernandes), Clark, Martin (Savin), Conneely (Lowe), McConville, Leigh, Whalley, Pressley(Adedoyin)

Subs: Nottingham, Nolan, Butler-Oyedeji

Yellow: Rodgers, Fernandes, Leigh

Red: Jensen

Attendance: 2473 (603 from Pompey)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account