Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Plymouth Argyle 3 Stanley 0

Captain Seamus Conneely and Plymouth's Dan Scarr see red

8 October 2022

Match Reports

REPORT: Plymouth Argyle 3 Stanley 0

Captain Seamus Conneely and Plymouth's Dan Scarr see red

8 October 2022

Accrington Stanley lost 3-0 to League One leaders Plymouth Argyle in a fiery encounter where both sides ended with ten men.

The Pilgrims have now won all their seven League One games at Home Park but Stanley battled hard.

Niall Ennis gave Plymouth the lead before the game erupted on 38 minutes when Seamus Conneely and Dan Scarr both saw red after clashing near the centre circle.

The Reds had some great chances to get back in it but Sam Cosgrove’s 63rd minute goal followed by Ryan Hardie’s stoppage time strike meant Stanley’s three-game winning run came to an end.

Mo Sangare came into the starting XI with Harvey Rodgers ill and that was the only change from the 3-1 win over Morecambe.

It was an even start but Plymouth have been clinical this season and scored with their first shot on target on 24 minutes.

Joe Edwards cut the ball back for Ennis who slid the ball home - he has scored in his last four games against Stanley.

The Reds were dangerous and had a great chance on 30 minutes when Sean McConville fed Ethan Hamilton who was clean through but Michael Cooper kept him out his goalbound strike with his legs.

In a half of limited chances, Plymouth looked for a second when Bali Mumba was put through and raced free down the left but his shot didn’t trouble Lukas Jensen.

The contentious double sending off came on 38 minutes. Scarr and Conneely both raced for a ball on the edge of the centre circle and clashed.

While both were having treatment, a melee followed with referee Neil Hair showing both a red card and then Liam Coyle was booked for his involvement in the aftermath.

Tommy Leigh miscued a shot in a good position as the Reds were unlucky to go in at half-time a goal behind.

After the break, Shaun Whalley had three decent chances but couldn’t put one away as the Reds started the half strongly.

Plymouth then started to press and Jensen denied Morgan Whittaker before Cosgrove  made it two on 63 minutes. Nigel Lonwijk cut the ball back from the by-line to Cosgrove in the six yard box and he made space for himself and fired beyond Jensen into the bottom corner of the net.

Stanley continued to battle, Ryan Astley firing straight at Cooper and Leigh just couldn’t get a touch on a Joe Pritchard ball into the area.

However the frame of the goal saved Stanley as a deflected strike from Plymouth captain Edwards  clattered back off the crossbar on 77 minutes.

Sub Nathan Delfounso had the ball in the net for Stanley but it was ruled out for off-side on 80 minutes while Steven Schumacher’s side looked dangerous and added a third on 93 minutes when Ryan Hardie got on the end of a ball over the top and fired home.


Stanley: Jensen, Clark, Hamilton, Astley, Tharme, Sangare, Whalley (Pritchard) Coyle, Conneely, McConville, Leigh (Delfounso)

Subs: Savin, Nolan, Martin, Sloane, Fernandes


Yellow: Hamilton, Coyle, Whalley

Red: Conneely


Crowd: 15,065 (106)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account