Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Lincoln City 1 Stanley 1

Rodgers leaves it late to rescue a much-needed point for the Reds

1 November 2022

Match Reports

REPORT: Lincoln City 1 Stanley 1

Rodgers leaves it late to rescue a much-needed point for the Reds

1 November 2022

Defender Harvey Rodgers rescued a much-needed point for Accrington Stanley with an 85th minute header at Lincoln City.

Stanley were staring at a sixth successive League One defeat when Rodgers, who has now scored two in a week after not scoring since 2017 for the Reds, leapt up to head home Mitch Clark’s inch-perfect cross.

It was a welcome relief for everyone connected with Stanley but the Reds also had keeper Toby Savin to thank for two excellent saves in the second half.

Defender Doug Tharme and midfielder Liam Coyle came back into the starting XI after both serving a one-game suspension.

It was a cagey opening with neither side having any chances, the best a Joe Pritchard effort which was off-target on 20 minutes.

Savin’s first save came on 25 minutes when he superbly denied winger Charles Vernam who shot from distance.

His counterpart Carl Rushworth’s first real threat was on 30 minutes when a Sean McConville corner found the head of Tharme but it was into the Lincoln goalie’s arms.

It was a half of limited goalscoring chances with the best opportunity before the end of the half a ball by Tommy Leigh across the face of goal which the Imps managed to clear with Ethan Hamilton waiting to pounce.

Brighton loan keeper Rushworth had lengthy treatment after going down in the area, replaced by Jordan Wright on 38 minutes, and although Stanley tested the sub keeper immediately, they were unable to capitalise.

McConville put a couple of dangerous balls into the box in the second half with Leigh heading over.

Lincoln were awarded a penalty on 60 minutes when Jack Diamond raced to the edge of the area, Tharme was judged to have brought him down and on-loan Sunderland player Diamond sent Savin the wrong way.

Hamilton had a go from 30 yards and forced Wright into a save as Stanley pressed for the equaliser.

John Coleman made a double change on 70 minutes with Dan Martin and Leslie Adekoya coming in as they looked to get back in the game.

However it was Diamond who had the next chance on 73 minutes with Savin denying the winger from point blank range.

Rosaire Longelo took to the pitch for the final 15 minutes but, again, it was Savin in action, diving to deny Jamie Robson at the near post with ten minutes to go.

But then came the Rodgers equaliser and, although the Reds did try to nick a winner, McConville had said Stanley needed to 'stop the rot' - and this was a huge point in doing that.


Stanley: Savin, Clark, Astley, Tharme (Longelo), Rodgers, Pritchard, Coyle (Martin), Whalley (Adekoya), Hamilton, McConville, Leigh (Conneely)

Subs: Jensen, Nolan, Fernandes

Yellow: Clark, Tharme, Coyle, longelo

Attendance: 7,317 (45)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account