Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stanley 1 Charlton Athletic 2

Young guns bow out of FA Youth Cup at Fourth Round stage

18 January 2022

Match Reports

REPORT: Stanley 1 Charlton Athletic 2

Young guns bow out of FA Youth Cup at Fourth Round stage

18 January 2022

Accrington Stanley’s Under 18s exited the FA Youth Cup after an impressive campaign which took them to the Fourth Round.

The Stanley young guns lost out to Charlton at the Wham Stadium but enjoyed a strong run where they beat Wigan, Bolton and Swansea.

It was unfortunate for John Miles’ side who drew level against the Addicks thanks to Leslie Adekoya’s header but it is Charlton who will face Brighton at home in the last 16.

Charlton started on the attack and Karoy Anderson had an early shot blocked, he then fired over in a good position and Joseph Ladapo headed over.

Daniel Kanu opened the scoring on 14 minutes when Mack Reilly headed the ball across the goal and Kanu belted the ball home from close range. It was the 17-year-old’s 28th goal of the season.

Stanley’s first chance came on 18 minutes when the ball broke for Calvin Harper and he raced forward and forced a good save out of Ahmed Kone.

The Reds equalised on 30 minutes when a cross from the left was headed home by striker Adekoya much to the delight of the 794 crowd.

Charlton came close to re-taking the lead on 38 minutes when Kanu’s ball in found Jason Adigun in the six yard box but he fired just wide of Louis Hood’s goal.

The Addicks player made amends on the stroke of half-time when a ball from the right was headed home by Adigun to put Charlton back in front at the break.

There weren’t many clear cut chances at the start of the second half but Stanley’s Aaron Pickles did have the ball in the net from a Lewis Trickett free kick on the hour mark but it was ruled out for off-side.

Emerich Poilly and Owen Devonport both headed over as the Reds searched for another equaliser.

Sub Harley Lawton’s cross tested Kone who was backtracking – and there were appeals it had crossed the line but nothing was given.

At the other end, Tyreece Campbell hit the post and Hood pulled off a tremendous save to stop Charlton making it three in the final 10 minutes.

There were big appeals when Lawton charged forward and went down under a challenge but referee Simeon Lucas ruled that the Charlton defender had got the ball.

The Reds battled to the end but could not get the all-important second to take the tie into extra-time.


Stanley: Hood, Akukwe (Newton) O’Brien, Gough (Henderson), Pickles, Monk, Devonport, Adekoya, Trickett, Poilly, Harper (Lawton)

Subs: Clayton, Hall, Procter, Eze


Attendance: 794

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account