Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stanley 0 Exeter City 0

Reds fail to score in a match for the first time this season

27 August 2022

Match Reports

REPORT: Stanley 0 Exeter City 0

Reds fail to score in a match for the first time this season

27 August 2022

There was no late drama at the Wham Stadium for the first time this season as Accrington Stanley drew 0-0 with Exeter.

In the three previous encounters at the Wham, there have been late goals but this time neither side could break the deadlock in a game of limited chances.

Doug Tharme made his full Reds debut in defence with goalkeeper Lukas Jensen overcoming an ankle injury to keep his place in the starting eleven.

In the opening stages, Harvey Rodgers had a shot on the turn which was narrowly wide while Jack Sparkes fired off target for Exeter.

The first save came on 12 minutes when Ethan Hamilton’s free kick was stopped by Jamal Blackman while, at the other end, Timothee Dieng’s strike from a tight angle wasn’t far off for City.

Tharme’s long throw was a threat for the Reds and, from one, Joe Pritchard whipped an effort over the bar.

On 31 minutes Exeter had a great chance when Jevani Brown’s ball in found the head of Sam Nombe but his effort was cleared off the line by a combination of Hamilton and Jensen.

On the stroke of half-time, Stanley pressed and Tommy Leigh had a strike blocked on the line while the Exeter defence had to block a number of shots as the ball pinged around the area.

Stanley boss John Coleman brought on Rosaire Longelo on 56 minutes as the Reds looked for the opening goal.

Chances were still at a premium with Deing firing over the bar from distance for Exeter on 65 minutes.

Exeter forced a spell of pressure with some dangerous balls into the box but they didn’t really test Jensen and the Reds defence held firm.

Matt Lowe came on for the injured Leigh on 75 minutes and, minutes later, Hamilton drove a free kick across goal and wide.

Coleman put Shaun Whalley and Josh Woods on for the final five minutes as they tried to find the elusive goal.

It almost came in the 88th minute when a Sean McConville free kick found Lowe at the far post but he couldn’t guide his header on target.


Stanley: Jensen, Clark (Longelo), Hamilton (Whalley), Astley, Tharme, Rodgers, Coyle, Leigh (Lowe), Pritchard, McConville, Adedoyin (Woods)

Subs: Savin, Sangare, Conneely

Attendance: 2170 (306 from Exeter)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account