Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stanley 1-1 Charlton Athletic

Chuks Aneke's 95th-minute equaliser rescues a point for The Addicks

1 May 2021

Match Reports

REPORT: Stanley 1-1 Charlton Athletic

Chuks Aneke's 95th-minute equaliser rescues a point for The Addicks

1 May 2021

Charlton Athletic scored a 95th-minute equaliser to earn a 1-1 draw against Accrington Stanley.

It looked as though Joe Pritchard's 81st-minute strike had secured all three points for the Reds, but Chuks Aneke grabbed his 15th goal of the season to rescue a draw.

Albie Morgan's free-kick found the striker inside the penalty area and he then converted from close-range to keep The Addicks just four points off the final Play-Off spot.

It was the visitors who created the game's opening chance after just seven minutes when Ian Maatsen fed the ball into the feet of Conor Washington, but the Northern Ireland international could only fire his effort over the crossbar.

Stanley then grew into the half and John Coleman's side began to ask questions of the Charlton defence, with Akin Famewo doing well to clear a looping cross into the box from Colby Bishop.

The best chance of the first half came in the only minute of added time, as Dion Charles held the ball up well before rocketing his effort against the woodwork from an acute angle.

Coleman's men maintained that momentum after the break, with former Red Jayden Stockley then having to do his defensive duties well to clear a free-kick into the area from Sean McConville. 

However, it was the visitors who had the game's first shot on target but Alex Gilbey's low strike was dealt with comfortably by Toby Savin.

The 19-year-old was then called into action again just three minutes later to deny a fierce shot at goal from Aneke, with the resulting corner then headed wide by Ryan Inniss.

After scoring a brace at The Valley in January, Bishop almost grabbed his third goal against The Addicks but goalkeeper Ben Amos did superbly to keep out the striker's goalbound effort.

The Reds then had a huge shout for a penalty when Harvey Rodgers' shot appeared to be blocked by the arm of Jason Pearce but those appeals were waved away by referee Alan Young.

Pritchard, who had replaced Jon Russell, then took the game into his own hands and drove towards goal before firing his low effort past Amos and into the bottom corner.

Having scored a 95th-minute equaliser against Portsmouth last time out, Coleman's side were then on the receiving end of late heartbreak as Aneke rescued a point for the visitors.

Accrington Stanley

Savin, Nottingham, Burgess, Russell (Pritchard 65'), McConville (C), Barclay, Rodgers, Bishop, Charles, Phillips and Morgan.

Subs not used: Buckley, Smyth, Maguire, Scully, Perritt and Mansell.

Yellow Cards: Russell, McConville and Rodgers.

Charlton Athletic

Amos, Gunter, Famewo, Pearce (C) (Millar 74'), Forster-Caskey (Shinnie 90+2'), Stockley, Gilbey, Washington (Aneke 58'), Pratley (Morgan 90+1'), Maatsen and Inniss.

Subs not used: Maynard-Brewer, Purrington and Matthews.

Yellow Cards: Forster-Caskey and Inniss.

Match Officials

Referee: Alan Young.

Assistant Referees: Stephen Wade and Geoffrey Liddle.

Fourth Official: Ian Smedley.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account