Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stanley 0 Plymouth Argyle 1

Reds hit woodwork and denied twice in injury time by Pilgrims keeper Cooper

9 February 2021

Match Reports

REPORT: Stanley 0 Plymouth Argyle 1

Reds hit woodwork and denied twice in injury time by Pilgrims keeper Cooper

9 February 2021

Accrington Stanley’s four game unbeaten run came to an end as Plymouth won 1-0 at the Wham Stadium.

The two sides drew 2-2 late last month at Home Park but a Niall Ennis goal was enough to separate the sides this time.

It was agony for the Reds who hit the woodwork and also forced a number of superb saves out of Pilgrims keeper Michael Cooper, including injury time saves from Adam Phillips and Dion Charles.

Stanley made three changes with Joe Pritchard and Sean McConville suspended and Tariq Uwakwe dropping to the bench.

Paul Smyth made his first start since signing on loan from QPR and he had the first strike, testing Cooper in the opening minute.

Matt Butcher returned in midfield after injury while Cameron Burgess won his place back in the starting eleven.

The Reds started well, Burnley loanee Phillips rifled a free kick just over the bar while Charles forced a strong save out of Cooper on 17 minutes.

There was a big let off for Stanley though on 25 minutes when a quickly taken corner found Niall Ennis unmarked at the far post and he only had to touch the ball over the line but he ended up putting the effort over the bar.

Stanley then had a good chance when they broke quickly and Butcher threaded the ball through to Charles who rifled a shot goalwards but Cooper was equal to it.

And they were unlucky on 32 minutes when Butcher played a free kick to Phillips 20 yards out and his strike crashed against the crossbar.

On 38 minutes, Colby Bishop ran almost from the halfway line with the ball and charged into the area but his final shot was over the bar as it was goalless at half-time.

Plymouth took the lead on 51 minutes when a long ball forward, was headed towards keeper Nathan Baxter by Ben Barclay but Ennis intercepted and took the ball past Baxter before tapping it over the line.

Immediately after Seamus Connelly fizzed a strike just wide as the Reds looked to get back on level terms and a ball over the top sent Smyth clean through, but Cooper saved with his legs on 58 minutes.

Phillips played a dangerous ball across the box which just needed a touch while the Reds enjoyed a spell of pressure as they pressed for the equaliser.

Plymouth, however were dangerous on the break and Baxter came out quickly to stop Panutche Camara running clean through as they looked for a second.

It was end-to-end with Pilgrims sub Ryan Hardie forcing a save out of the Reds keeper while Stanley put plenty of balls into the box and, in injury time, it needed a diving save from Cooper to keep out a Phillips header and a Charles blast.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account