Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stanley 1-0 Swansea City

Lewis Trickett grabs an extra-time winner for the Reds

14 December 2021

Accrington Stanley's Lewis Trickett scored an extra-time winner to clinch a 1-0 victory over Swansea City and secure his team's place in the fourth round of this season's FA Youth Cup.

Substitute Harley Lawton did superbly well to get to the byline before sending a low cross into the box, with Trickett then slotting his shot past goalkeeper Ben Hughes and inside the far post.

The Reds, who had already beaten both Wigan Athletic and Bolton Wanderers, came into the third round tie full of confidence and it was Owen Devonport who had the game's opening chance after 15 minutes, but the winger fired his effort wide of the target.

Darren Davies' side grew into the game and they had a great opportunity to break the deadlock when the ball was delivered into the box towards Jake Cooper, but the defender was unable to direct his header on target.

Following chances for Stanley's Leslie Adekoya and Swansea's Iwan Morgan, Reds midfielder Brandon Gough was then caught in possession inside his own half but Ben Lloyd could only fire over from the edge of the box.

Both sides continued to create chances after the half-time break, with Gough rifling a long-range effort over the crossbar for John Miles' side.

With the game still goalless after 90 minutes, the tie headed to extra-time and it was beginning to look as though this evening's fixture would be settled on penalties.

However, the winger's late composed strike secured a home tie against Charlton Athletic in the fourth round of this season's FA Youth Cup.

Accrington Stanley

Hood, Akukwe, O'Brien (C), Gough (Henderson 77'), Pickles, Monk, Devonport (Lawton 104'), Harper (Kardacz 115'), Adekoya, Trickett and Poilly.

Subs not used: Clayton, Newton, Procter and Eze.

Yellow Cards: Gough and O'Brien.

Swansea City

Hughes, Lissah (Hillier 91'), Dabrowski, Jones, Cooper (Ludvigsen 61'), Cotterill (C), Congreve, Carey, Morgan (Bony 98'), Lloyd and Myers (Watts 82').

Subs not used: Margetson, Davies and Petrie.

Yellow Cards: Cotterill and Congreve.

Match Officials

Referee: Matthew Archibald.

Assistant Referees: Zac Bamber and Lee Corns.

Fourth Official: Peter Fuller.

Advertisement block