Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stanley 3 Portsmouth 3

Late drama as two injury time goals mean it ends all square

27 April 2021

Match Reports

REPORT: Stanley 3 Portsmouth 3

Late drama as two injury time goals mean it ends all square

27 April 2021

A John Marquis own goal rescued a point for Accrington Stanley against Play-Off hopefuls Portsmouth but they deserved more after leading 2-0 and hitting the post three times.

It was stunning first half show with Colby Bishop and Cameron Burgess scoring before Pompey came back with two quickfire second half goals.

The second goal was disputed after Craig MacGillivray saved a Harvey Rodgers effort but referee Bobby Madley gave a goalkick from which Pompey eventually scored.

In a grandstand finish, Stanley went for the win but Marquis scored in the 91st minute to put Pompey ahead before an Adam Phillips strike bounced off Marquis into his own net in the 94th minute to rescue a point for the Reds, whose Play-Off hopes are now over.

Matt Butcher missed out through injury with Jonny Russell starting his first game for a while.

It was a busy opening with Rodgers and George Byers playing dangerous balls into the box and both had shots which were off-target.

Stanley took the lead on 15 minutes as Sean McConville’s ball in found Bishop, who got ahead of the defender, and headed home his second in two games for 12 for the season.

Dion Charles looked for a second for the Reds, rifling a strike which went over the bar with the striker insistent it had taken a deflection.

Portsmouth almost equalised on 23 minutes when ex-Red Callum Johnson’s ball into the six yard box found Marquis and Ben Barclay sliding in, and the striker’s ball hit the post.

It was Stanley’s turn to hit the woodwork on 40 minutes, McConville cut into the area and unleashed a fierce strike which hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced out.

The Reds made it two on 43 minutes when a McConville free kick found Bishop at the far post, his effort from a tight angle looked to have crossed the line but Cameron Burgess made sure.

Pompey got back in it on 49 minutes when the Reds lost the ball in midfield and Marquis raced forward. His initial shot was saved by Toby Savin but the ball came back to him and he chipped it over the keeper.

Stanley almost made it three when an Adam Phillips thumping shot was pushed onto the bar by MacGillivray and the follow-up by Rodgers was tipped over the bar.

Surprisingly referee Madley gave a goal kick and from it, Pompey equalised on 54 minutes. They broke and Marquis played in substitute Ryan Williams and he fired home from a tight angle.

Both sides looked for the winner, Charles breaking but unable to capitalise and, on 70 minutes, sub Joe Pritchard rifled over while Pompey appealed for a penalty with nothing given.

Pritchard had a strike saved by MacGillivray while Charles fired wide in a good position as Stanley were pressing for the winner.

Burgess agonisingly hit the underside of the woodwork from four yards out in the 85th minute and Bishop forced a close range save from MacGillivray as the Portsmouth goal led a charmed life.

Then Pompey broke, forced a free kick in the 91st minute, and Burgess’ header fell kindly for Marquis who fired home from close range.

However it wasn’t over and, in the 95th minute, a McConville free kick found Phillips, he fired goalwards and the ball bounced off Marquis and into the net in a breathtaking finish.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account