Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stanley 2 Doncaster Rovers 1

Two Dion Char

20 April 2021

Match Reports

REPORT: Stanley 2 Doncaster Rovers 1

Two Dion Char

20 April 2021

Dion Charles took his goal tally to 20 goals for the season with two penalties against Doncaster Rovers – one to secure victory in injury time.

The Reds scored from the spot in the first half but should have been more than 1-0 up at half-time and then Doncaster came back 15 minutes from time – and almost won it but for a superb save from Toby Savin.

Then, in the 91st minute, Charles despatched penalty number two for Stanley’s first win in four games.

Stanley brought in Adam Phillips and Matt Butcher in two changes to the starting XI which lost 3-1 at Rochdale on Saturday.

The Reds started well and, on six minutes, keeper Ellery Balcombe dived low to keep out a long range Charles shot and, from the resulting corner, the striker’s acrobatic effort was cleared off the line by ex-Red loan defender Joe Wright.

Stanley kept up the pressure and Sean McConville raced into the area and found space but Balcombe saved his low strike in the 13th minute.

Doncaster were restricted to defending until they broke in the 16th minute but a strike by Taylor Richards was blocked.

It was a rare foray as Stanley continued to press, Butcher ran onto Colby Bishop’s knock down and he rifled a strike goalwards which was kept out by Balcombe while the midfielder had another go a minute later but it was over the bar.

Stanley forced a succession of corners but couldn’t take advantage of them and then Rovers broke on 29 minutes through Richards and the move ended with top scorer Fejiri Okenabirhie firing over in a good position.

Phillips tried his luck from a free kick but Balcombe was equal to it while Harvey Rodgers headed over at the far post.

In the 40th minute, Stanley made the breakthrough when Wright dived in on McConville in the area and referee Anthony Backhouse pointed to the spot. Charles stepped up a minute later and Balcombe dived the wrong way to give the Reds the lead and the striker celebrated his 19th goal of the season.

John Coleman’s side continued to press, looking for a second before the break, a McConville effort not far off the top corner.

After the interval, Stanley kept on the front foot, a Bishop header caught by Balcombe while Charles had a go from distance but it was wide of the far post.

Phillips volleyed over after being teed up by Charles and a slip by Balcombe almost gifted Bishop a chance but the stopper recovered to clear.

Doncaster did threaten Jason Lokilo’s shot on 62 minutes was collected by Savin – their first strike on target.

Charles rifled wide after the ball bounced to him fortunately off the referee while McConville curled the ball narrowly over.

Stanley were made to pay for missed chances when Doncaster equalised on 76 minutes. Okenabirhie fed substitute Tyreece John-Jules and he fired low into the bottom corner of the net.

Five minutes later, Savin produced a superb save to deny Doncaster the win after Arsenal loan striker John-Jules got the ball unmarked in the area and the Stanley keeper denied him with his legs.

However, Stanley were awarded a second penalty on 91 minutes after Balcombe failed to hold onto a Phillips free kick and he fouled McConville as both chased for the ball. Charles held his nerve to fire home his second spot kick.

Stanley should have made it safe with Balcombe denying Colby Bishop twice and a Charles deflected effort skimming the post.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account