Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Fleetwood Town 1-0 Stanley

Stanley exit the FA Youth Cup in the first round after a 1-0 defeat to Fleetwood

4 November 2020

Accrington Stanley exited this year's FA Youth Cup in the first round, as David Fitzgerald's side suffered a 1-0 defeat to Fleetwood Town at Highbury Stadium.

The only goal of the game came just after the hour mark when Ryan Graham's attempted clearance diverted past goalkeeper Jack Buckley and into the far corner.

After exiting last season's competition at the same stage, Fitzgerald named three 15-year-olds in his starting XI with Brandon Gough, Owen Devonport and Jasper Newton all named on the teamsheet.

The Reds began the game the better of the two sides with captain Jak McKinlay having the first real chance of the game, but his shot at goal was blocked behind by Billy Batch.

Simon Wiles' Fleetwood side grew into the game as the half went on, with winger Cian Hayes looking very dangerous down the left-hand side.

Stanley's best chance of the opening 45 minutes fell to Leslie Adekoya, but the striker failed to hit the target after Gough had played a superb ball through to him.

Fleetwood goalkeeper Johnathon Borwick them made a great save to deny a volleyed effort at goal from Warren Sung.

Hayes continued to impress for the hosts as he worked his way into the box, but the winger could only fire his effort over the crossbar.

Devonport then did well to beat Borwick to the ball inside the penalty area, but Fleetwood captain Sam Barratt got back well to clear the danger.

Wiles' side came out stonger after the break, but it was Stanley who had the first chance of the second half as Borwick was forced to make a save to deny a close-range header from Gough.

However, Fleetwood took the lead on 61 minutes as Graham turned the ball into his own net.

Enoch Takpe then had a brilliant chance to double the lead for the hosts, but the striker somehow fired his effort over the crossbar despite having an open goal to aim at.

Fleetwood will now face Walsall in the next round of the competition.

Advertisement block