Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Stanley 1 Tranmere Rovers 2

Ten-man Reds slip to defeat despite late rally

7 March 2020

Match Reports

Stanley 1 Tranmere Rovers 2

Ten-man Reds slip to defeat despite late rally

7 March 2020

Stanley suffered a 2-1 loss to Tranmere Rovers despite a late rally and John Coleman knows his side will be looking over their shoulders.

James Vaughan headed home for Rovers on eight minutes before Mark Ellis got the second 13 minutes from time.

An Alex Woodyard own goal from a Bobby Grant free kick got Stanley back in it with eight minutes to spare but they couldn’t find the equaliser and it’s now four games without a win for the Reds.

Harvey Rodgers was sent off for a second bookable offence in injury time as Tranmere remain in the bottom three but have games in hand.

Defender Ross Sykes was missing for the Reds due to injury while Wolves loan striker Benny Ashley-Seal was absent due to illness.

Stanley pressed from the off and had a chance within the first minute when Jordan Clark set up Dion Charles but he couldn’t find the target.

Callum Johnson’s strike on two minutes was pushed away by former Reds keeper Scott Davies while a chip into the box by Charles evaded everyone as all the early action was in the Tranmere half.

However, Rovers took the lead in their first attack on eight minutes when a Kieron Morris free kick found experienced striker Vaughan and his header bounced down and past Joe Bursik.

Stanley continued to press, Sam Finley having a go and Colby Bishop just unable to connect with a low Finley cross.

Jerome Opoku fired over while, in a rare foray into the Stanley half, Corey Blackett-Taylor couldn’t find the target from a tight angle on the half hour mark.

Just before half-time, Johnson played a ball to the back post but Bishop’s header was off-target while, after the break, Joe Pritchard’s curling shot from the left wing wasn’t far off.

The Reds continued to search for the equaliser and Charles was inches off getting on the end of Pritchard’s ball in while Pritchard had a go from the edge of the area but it ended up comfortable for Davies.

Coleman brought on Ozzy Zanzala on the hour mark, replacing Bishop, as they continued to hunt for the all-important leveler.

Pritchard got the ball unmarked but couldn’t get a firm shot on goal and there was a delay as Neil Danns needed treatment following a Finley tackle, with the midfielder booked.

Stanley went 2-0 down on 77 minutes when they failed to clear a corner, Peter Clarke put the ball back across the face of goal and Mark Ellis was unmarked at the far post to put the ball into the empty net.

The Reds got one back on 82 minutes when sub Grant’s powerful free kick was flicked into the top corner of the net by Woodyard and there was a late pressure in the seven minutes of added time.

Rodgers saw red for a second booking in this time as Stanley couldn’t find another goal to secure a point.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account