Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bolton Wanderers 0 Stanley 0

Reds draw a blank at University of Bolton Stadium

29 February 2020

Stanley drew a blank at the University of Bolton Stadium in a goalless encounter.

Bolton, deducted 12 points at the start of the campaign, created more of the chances in the first half as they tried to avenge Stanley’s 7-1 victory at the Wham Stadium in November.

John Coleman’s men came more into it after the break, cheered on by 875 travelling fans, but neither side could put the ball in the back of the net.

Dennis Politic had a chance for Bolton after just 30 seconds when he burst into the area but he fired the ball over the bar.

The home side were doing the pressing from the off and Daryl Murphy’s point blank header from a corner was well saved by Joe Bursik on five minutes before ex-Reds Toto Nsiala headed wide from the next flag kick.

Ali Crawford had a sweeping effort from six yards out pushed out by Bursik while, from the resulting corner, Nsiala headed off-target.

Keith Hill’s side continued to create the chances with Joe Dodoo firing into the side netting and Ross Sykes blocked a Daryl Murphy strike as, by the half hour mark, Bolton had 12 shots to Stanley’s one, which was a Jordan Clark effort easily collected by Remi Matthews.

Stanley came close though on 38 minutes through a Bolton head – a flick header from defender Jack Hobbs following Sam Finley’s ball in was just over the crossbar.

As the half came to a close, Clark had a strike deflected for a corner but Bolton broke quickly and it needed a hand from Bursik to keep out Dodoo’s low effort.

Stanley started the stronger after the break with a goalmouth scramble after keeper Matthews couldn’t keep hold of the ball but no one could poke it home.

Coleman put on Dion Charles for Bobby Grant on 56 minutes as the Reds looked to break the deadlock.

And Clark came close to doing that two minutes later with a fierce drive from outside the area which Matthews had to push away.

A Harvey Rodgers header was collected by the Bolton keeper while Joe Maguire’s free kick was simple for Matthews.

Jerome Opoko and Benny Ashley-Seal came on for the Reds and Opoku’s 20-yard free kick wasn’t far off.

Bolton still pressed without testing Bursik and then Clark had a superb chance with the last kick of the game but Matthews got down low to push it out - and it ended all-square.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account