Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Stanley 1-2 Hartlepool United

The Reds exit this season's FA Youth Cup in the first round

4 November 2019

Accrington Stanley exited this season's FA Youth Cup in the first round as Paul Lodge's side suffered a 2-1 defeat to Hartlepool United at the Wham Stadium.

The Reds took the lead in the first half through Charlie Ridge, but second half goals from Aaron Willoughby and Joseph Grey secured the win for the visitors.

Lodge's side had the chance to grab a last minute equaliser from the penalty spot, but Jack Doherty's spot-kick was saved by goalkeeper Bradley Young.

Stanley started the game the better of the two sides as Gabe Ellis had two efforts at goal in the space of three minutes.

The game's opening goal came eight minutes before the break when the ball fell nicely for Ridge and the Stanley captain smashed the ball past Young and into the back of the net.

A minute before half-time, Young produced a superb save to deny Jak McKinlay after the full-back showed good footwork to work his way into the penalty area.

Six minutes after the break, Stanley goalkeeper Liam Isherwood did well to deny Jay Gibson an equaliser.

The Reds then had two good chances to add a second goal, the first falling to Ridge, with Guelor Kasongo then curling an effort just wide of the post.

Hartlepool grabbed an equaliser on 64 minutes when the ball came into the box and Willoughby slotted it into the back of the net.

The visitors then added a second goal nine minutes later as Grey showed superb footwork before slotting the ball into the bottom corner.

Stanley had the ball in the back of the net on 84 minutes through substitute Kevin Spinelli but the goal was ruled out for offside.

The Reds were given the chance to level the game from the penalty spot on 89 minutes when McKinlay was tripped inside the area, but substitute Doherty saw his spot-kick saved well by Young.

The Hartlepool goalkeeper then produced another good save in added time to deny substitute Warren Sung.

The visitors will now face South Shields in the second round.

Advertisement block