Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Wycombe 1 Stanley 3

12 March 2019

Club News

Wycombe 1 Stanley 3

12 March 2019

Two Billy Kee penalties and a Paul Smyth goal secured Stanley a welcome three points at Wycombe Wanderers.

After three successive defeats, the 14th placed Reds bounced back at Adams Park but had to come from behind.

Stanley started off well and hit the woodwork twice in the first half.

Jordan Clark saw his effort from the edge of the box beat Wycombe keeper Ryan Allsop and crash against the crossbar on six minutes.

The Reds continued to boss the early proceedings as Sean McConville had an overhead kick blocked and Dan Barlaser was denied superbly by Allsop on 14 minutes.

Against the run of play, Paris Cowan-Hall curled a strike from 18 yards into the bottom corner of the net to give Wycombe the lead on 23 minutes.

Stanley struck the woodwork again on the half hour mark when Kee found McConville on the edge of the area and his effort hit the post.

The Reds were forcing corners and piling on the pressure with one penalty appeal turned down on 44 minutes before they were given the second one in the ninth minute of stoppage time, added on due to a number of injuries including one to the assistant referee.

QPR loan striker Smyth, back in the starting line-up, was pushed over the area and Kee made no mistake from the spot.

In between, Sido Jombati had a low drive saved by Jonny Maxted as it was 1-1 at the break.

Stanley came out applying the pressure with Sam Finley unable to find the target from distance and then the midfielder fired over from close range.

At the other end, Wycombe came close to regaining the lead in a goalmouth flurry on 54 minutes. Nick Freeman was denied by Maxted, Harvey Rodgers blocked the follow-up from Cowan-Hall while Ade Akinfenwa then had a go but the Stanley keeper denied him.

Both sides were going for it with Kee heading narrowly wide while Clark shot across the face of goal and just wide.

Stanley were awarded a second penalty when Smyth again was pulled back on 66 minutes and Kee sent Allsop the wrong way from the spot for the second time and celebrated his 14th goal of the campaign.

Wycombe came back with Akinfenwa heading just wide but Smyth made it safe on 71 minutes with the Reds counter-attacking and the Northern Ireland international fired beyond Allsop. It was his second goal since joining the Reds in January.

Stanley could have increased their lead with the Wanderers keeper doing well to tip a McConville strike around the post while Janoi Donacien was also denied by the keeper and Smyth saw a late effort tipped over the bar.

John Coleman's men celebrated at the end – a vital win after they had dropped too close for comfort to the bottom four.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account