Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stanley 0 Fleetwood 1

30 March 2019

Stanley suffered a 1-0 loss to Fleetwood as they were unable to make their chances count.

Harry Souttar scored the winning goal for the Cod Army from a set-piece on 50 minutes, powering home a header.

However the Reds had a Billy Kee goal disallowed and created a number of chances but couldn't find the back of the net.

John Coleman made five changes to the team which lost 5-2 at Burton last week.

Fleetwood created the early opportunities with Wes Burns firing into the side netting early on and Dimi Evtimov, back in the starting line-up after suspension, did well to clear a Ched Evans effort from a ball over the top.

There was a lengthy stoppage after midfielder Ian Holt picked up an injury and was stretchered off on 13 minutes, replaced by Nathan Sheron.

The best chance of the opening exchanges fell to Fleetwood's Jack Sowerby who headed over from eight yards on 15 minutes.

Stanley played a couple of balls into the box but couldn't test visiting keeper Alex Cairns with Sean McConville heading into the side netting from a tight angle.

Billy Kee looked to have headed home the opener on 31 minutes but it was disallowed for a push on Lewie Coyle by the striker.

At the other end, Fleetwood's 18-goal top scorer Paddy Madden fired wide while Stanley then piled on the pressure towards the end of the half, with a number of dangerous balls into the box.

From a Sean McConville corner Ross Sykes headed into the arms of Cairns – the Reds appealing for a penalty for a push on the defender.

On the stroke of half-time McConville headed over the bar as it remained goalless at the break.

After the interval, Sowerby fired wide from distance and Fleetwood started strongly.

And from a Ross Wallace ball in, on 50 minutes, Souttar headed past Evtimov to give the visitor's the lead.

Stanley pressed for the equaliser and it was agony for McConville as he placed a strike to the far post just wide on 56 minutes.

As the Reds went on the attack, Burns broke quickly for the visitors, passing to Wallace but Evtimov did well to smother the strike from a rebound.

Winger McConville had a great chance at the far post on 69 minutes but his volley was over the bar.

Paul Smyth just couldn't find the target after turning in the area while, at the other end, Evtimov did well to stop a second from Ashley Nadesan and Evans as Fleetwood left the Wham Stadium with the three points.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account