Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Barnsley 2 Stanley 0

9 March 2019

Stanley lost 2-0 at automatic promotion-chasing Barnsley who scored two goals in five minutes just before the break to see off the Reds.

The Tykes are in form, the victory extending their unbeaten league run to 16 games, and they are unbeaten at Oakwell in 22 league games.

The defeat saw John Coleman's men drop to 17th – two points above the bottom four but they do have a game in hand.

Left back Will Wood made his league debut for the Reds and he was in action early on, blocking a shot from Jordan Cross.

Barnsley were creating more of the chances without really testing Jonny Maxted, Cauley Woodrow firing across the goal and Alex Mowatt shooting wide.

Stanley were enjoying possession and Jordan Clark made a good run on the left on the half-hour mark but his ball in was just behind Luke Armstrong.

The first real save came from Tykes stopper Adam Davies on 34 minutes as he superbly denied Sam Finley from close range.

Barnsley took the lead on 41 minutes when Dimitri Cavare got the ball to the right of the area and fired home under keeper Maxted – his first goal since August.

Mowatt curled an effort just wide and Maxted denied Jordan Green before the Reds were unlucky to go in 2-0 down at the break.

Mamadou Thiam played a cross into the area in the first minute of injury time and it hit Wood and bounced in for an own goal.

Stanley had a let-off three minutes after the break when Green's strike beat everyone and hit the inside of the post and, thankfully for the Reds, bounced out.

Barnsley had a couple of shots from distance and Coleman put on Paul Smyth and Billy Kee early in the second half as the Reds looked to get back in the game.

Smyth couldn't get any power behind a shot with one of his first chances and Kee just couldn't connect with the QPR loan man's cross as the visitors piled on the pressure.

On 63 minutes, Kee had a great chance to get a goal back when Maxted pumped the ball up to him and the striker was clean through but he couldn't find the target.

Barnsley were still a threat though and Maxted did well to keep out a shot from Mike Bahre before Coleman made his final sub on 69 minutes, putting Offrande Zanzala on.

It was end-to-end with Smyth's effort hooked clear and Dan Barlaser's follow-up blocked while Maxted stopped a powerful strike by Thiam.

With 10 minutes left, Kee found Smyth but he fired wide and Maxted kept out Bahre's strike as the game came to a close.

Kee's looping header was touched over by Davies while Woodrow fired over in the final minutes as Barnsley celebrated the win.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account