Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stanley 0 Bristol Rovers 0

12 January 2019

Club News

Stanley 0 Bristol Rovers 0

12 January 2019

Stanley couldn't find a way past Bristol Rovers keeper Jack Bonham as they drew 0-0 at the Wham Stadium.

The Reds halted a run of two league losses with the draw but would have felt they deserved all three after creating more of the chances although it did need a last ditch save from Jonny Maxted at the end to make sure they secured a point.

Middlesbrough loan signing Luke Armstrong and Newcastle United left back Liam Gibson both made their EFL and Stanley debuts.

It was a lively opening without either keeper having a real save to make in the first 30 minutes.

Rovers winger Tareiq Holmes-Dennis was played clean through but Callum Johnson made a timely block to stop the goalbound effort on 10 minutes.

Billy Kee, looking for his third goal in three games, had a go from 25-yards with a free kick that Pirates keeper Bonham did well to turn around the post.

At the other end, Alex Jakubiak shot straight at Maxted while Ollie Clarke's strike was deflected wide.

There was a let off for the Reds when Alex Rodman had a free header from the resulting corner on 25 minutes but couldn't find the target.

Meanwhile, Stanley new boy Armstrong came close to scoring his first EFL goal on 37 minutes when the ball came to him at the far post but Bonham did well to deny him.

Bonham was now the busier keeper, one-handedly keeping out a Jordan Clark effort before the break.

After the interval, the Brentford loan goalie dived low to deny Kee and, on 57 minutes, Bonham grabbed the ball at the second attempt after striker Kee turned and fired goalwards.

With both sides looking for the opener Rodman played a dangerous ball across the box but no one could capitalise while, at the other end, Armstrong couldn't get enough power behind a close range header.

Sean McConville tried his luck with a curling effort which was just wide as the rain poured down at the Wham Stadium.

Striker Jakubiak forced Maxted into action with the keeper diving low to deny him on 84 minutes while Armstrong headed wide twice in the last few minutes.

It required a diving save from Maxted as Liam Sercombe tested him with a free kick with the final action of the match as both side's shared the spoils.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account