Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stanley 4 Oxford 2

19 February 2019

Stanley celebrated their first League One win of 2019 with a six goal thriller as the Reds put some space between themselves and the bottom four.

Billy Kee's 36th minute header and Sean McConville's 57th minute strike gave the Reds a 2-0 lead but Luke Garbett's quick reply on 63 minutes meant the Reds were on edge.

Jordan Clark finished at the near post on 73 minutes although they did suffer late scare when John Mousinho headed home to close the gap before Middlesbrough loan striker Luke Armstong secured the three points.

Stanley helped on for a their first win in seven league games as they looked to move back up the table, leaving Oxford in the relegation spots.

United started well and Marcus Browne had two early chances, one comfortable for Jonny Maxted while the other was well over.

Stanley grew into the game and enjoyed a period of pressure which led to the opener.

In their first real chance on 28 minute a superb cross from Callum Johnson found Kee but the striker couldn't hit the target.

Four minutes later, Dan Barlaser fed Paul Smyth who ran clean through on goal but was denied by Simon Eastwood and, just after, the QPR loanee volleyed over from a tight angle.

The pressure finally told on 36 minutes when a McConville free kick found the leaping Kee who headed home his 12th goal of the season.

Browne had another effort blocked for Oxford as they tried to get back in it but Mark Hughes headed wide at the other end as Stanley looked to double their advantage.

And it was agony for Stanley as unmarked McConville hit the post with a towering header which bounced on the inside of the woodwork and into Eastwood's arms.

Oxford made a lively start to the second half with Browne playing in a dangerous ball from the left which Samir Carruthers couldn't connect properly with.

Browne headed almost across the goalline but no one could get the finale touch while Jamie Mackie headed wide from six yards – a let off for Stanley.

And the Reds made them pay on 57 minutes when McConville got the ball to the left of the area, made space for himself and rifled into the bottom corner of the net for his ninth goal of the season.

Oxford came back into it when Mark Sykes' cross was headed home by sub Luke Garbutt on 63 minutes.

After losing a 2-0 advantage at Sunderland on Friday, Stanley needed to give themselves more breathing space and did just that on 73 minutes when Smyth's cross was headed home by Clark.

Oxford still threatened and John Mousinho set up a grandstand finish after heading home on 89 minutes before Armstrong pounced from a goalmouth scramble in the 94th minute to secure the vital three points.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account