Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stanley 1 Southend 1

23 February 2019

Club News

Stanley 1 Southend 1

23 February 2019

Dan Barlaser scored his first league goal as Stanley drew 1-1 in an eventful game with Southend United.

The Newcastle loan midfielder has scored in the cups for the Reds but got the ball 20 yards out and unleashed a rocket into the back of the net on 60 minutes.

It extended Stanley's unbeaten run to three games as they look to move back up the table.

The first shot on target came on seven minutes when a Sean McConville free kick was superbly pushed around the post by keeper Nathan Bishop.

The Reds had a chance to open the scoring on 12 minutes when keeper Nathan Bishop cleared straight to Billy Kee but, 30 yards out, the striker couldn't find the target with the keeper rushing back.

Southend opened the scoring on 20 minutes when Stephen Humphrys and Johnny Maxted charged for a long goalkick, Humphrys got his head to it first, the two collided and the ball looped into the empty goal.

There was a lengthy delay with treatment to both players and Humphrys was stretchered off with a suspected broken nose, with Isaac Hutchinson replacing him on 26 minutes.

Three minutes later, Maxted signalled he couldn't continue and Bulgarian stopper Dimitar Evtimov came on in goal for his second appearance for the Reds since signing in January.

Stanley came close to an equaliser when QPR loanee Paul Smyth placed a strike across the face of goal but Southend cleared while Kee fired a shot just wide.

A McConville free kick before half-time just needed a touch while, at the other end, Stanley survived pressure in the five minutes of added time.

The Reds started the second half well and, after Bishop couldn't keep hold of a McConville free kick, there was a goalmouth scramble but Smyth's effort was cleared almost on the goalline.

Callum Johnson volleyed just wide for Accrington from around 35 yards and, at the other end, the defender made a great block with Stephen McLaughlin charging through.

Stanley equalised from Barlaser on 60 minutes with a goal he won't forget.

There were chances at both ends with Taylor Moore heading wide for the Shrimpers and Stanley thought they had been awarded a penalty on 71 minutes when Jordan Clark went down but, after consultation with his assistant, the referee Eddie Ilderton gave a free kick just outside the box which came to nothing.

Smyth had an effort superbly kept out by Bishop from a tight angle but the visitors were still a danger at the other end with Michael Turner firing wide in a good position as it finished honours even.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account