Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Doncaster 1 Stanley 1

Late goal extends the unbeaten run to five games

21 December 2019

Substitute Offrande Zanzala forced home an 82nd minute equaliser to secure a point for Stanley and extend their unbeaten run to five games – but it could have been all three.

Jon Taylor put Rovers ahead in the 57th minute before a goalmouth scramble from a Sean McConville corner ended with Zanzala getting the final touch to level late on.

And it was agony for the Reds as, in the final minute of normal time, keeper Seny Deing pulled off a stunning save to deny Seamus Conneely a Stanley winner.

The Reds started well, Joe Pritchard played a dangerous ball across the face of goal but no one was there to capitalise while neither Jordan Clark nor Colby Bishop were able to get a clear head to Callum Johnson’s dinking ball into the box.

Doncaster grew into the game but chances were at a premium for both sides.

The Reds felt they should have had a penalty before the break when Clark ended up grounded in the area after a challenge from Cameron John but referee Andy Haines waved away the appeals.

After the interval, ex-Red Joe Wright came on for Doncaster and the home side had the first real chance with Madger Gomes putting in a good ball across the goalmouth but no one could get on the end of it.

Stanley then pressed through Bishop and Clark and forced a number of corners but couldn’t break the deadlock.

And, on 57 minutes, the Reds lost the ball on the attack, Doncaster broke and Taylor raced through one-on-one and he tucked the ball beyond Joe Bursik.

Stanley hunted for the equaliser, Dion Charles charged forward and found Bishop but the striker couldn’t find a finish.

It was end to end and Taylor had another strike which Sam Finley did well to block while Pritchard’s fierce free kick took a deflection.

McConville, who has been struggling with a shoulder injury, came on for the final 18 minutes as Stanley chased an equaliser and Zanzala also entered the fray.

The two combined when McConville put his corner into the six yard box, it was headed goalwards, there were frantic attempts to clear it but Zanzala raced forward and looked to get the final touch to force it over the line.

Then came the grandstand finish with neither side able to find the winner.

Advertisement block