Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Stanley 2 MK Dons 1

Reds come from behind for first win of the season

31 August 2019

Match Reports

Stanley 2 MK Dons 1

Reds come from behind for first win of the season

31 August 2019

Accrington Stanley came from behind with two goals in seven minutes to grab their first win of the season against MK Dons.

Colby Bishop and Mark Hughes were on target in the second half after Kieran Agard had given Paul Tisdale’s side a first half lead.

Bishop also saw his penalty saved as Stanley took charge of the game and deserved the three points.

With Sean McConville serving the first of a three-match ban, summer signing Joe Pritchard got the nod to start.

Stanley were on the front foot with Sam Finley and Pritchard putting dangerous balls into the box while a back post Bishop header was inches off target.

Despite the Reds dominance, it was MK Dons who opened the scoring on 18 minutes in their first attack when a ball over the top found Agard and he slotted home past Dimi Evtimov.

It could have been two on 23 minutes as Agard fired just wide but it was a rare foray into the Stanley half in the first half for the visitors.

The Reds were desperately unlucky not to equalise on 27 minutes when Pritchard’s fierce blast had Nicholl’s beaten but the ball hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced down and was frantically cleared.

A Dion Charles blast was deflected just over and Zaine Francis-Angol played a low ball into the box but no one could get on the end of it as MK held onto their lead to half-time.

Paul Tisdale’s side were lively just after the break but still Stanley threatened and Pritchard played a dangerous ball into the box not no one could capitalise.

From the resulting corner on 52 minutes, Nicholl’s pushed Clark’s effort onto the post and out and Bishop was there with his rebound nestling into the bottom of the net for his fourth goal of the season.

Rhys Healey’s diving header almost put the visitors back in front immediately but it was inches wide.

Stanley then took the lead in the 59th minute when Pritchard’s ball in was met by defender Hughes at the far post and his strong header found the back of the net.

It was all the Reds and they were awarded a penalty on 64 minutes when Clark was brought down in the area but Bishop’s spot kick was saved by Nicholls, diving to his left.

Stanley still looked for a third with Charles hitting the sidenetting, Clark fired wide and sub Wilson Carvalho forced a strong save out of Nicholls at the end.

Healey had a 'goal' ruled out for MK Dons in injury-time for off-side and Evtimov pulled off a superb save with the last action of the game.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account