Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Walsall 0 Stanley 1

29 September 2018

Billy Kee's fifth goal of the season made it two wins from two for Stanley, after beating Walsall 1-0 at the Banks's Stadium.

After Seamus Conneely was brought down in the area, Kee converted from the spot, calmly slotting his penalty down the middle to give Stanley the lead in the seventh minute.

Walsall put the Reds under pressure for large periods of the match as they sought to get themselves back into the contest, but Stanley's defence stood firm to keep their first clean sheet of the season.

Connor Ripley made several fantastic saves in each half to deny the hosts and ensure that John Coleman's side took all three points.

Ahead of kick-off, manager Coleman made two changes to the side that beat AFC Wimbledon at home last weekend, with Conneely and Scott Brown returning to central midfield in place of Daniel Barlaser and Offrande Zanzala.

Stanley started brightly with good work down both wings, before Conneely went for the ball in the penalty area and was brought down by Isaiah Osbourne's high foot as the midfielder moved into the box.

Up stepped Kee, who rolled the ball past Liam Roberts for the striker's second goal in as many games.

The hosts looked for a reply, and Stanley were forced to defend in numbers to preserve their advantage. Just before the half-hour mark Middlesbrough-loanee Ripley made two outstanding saves from close range to ensure the Reds remained in front.

First, he dived smartly to his right deny Josh Ginnelly's volley, before racing across his line to save Jon Guthrie's header at the far post from the resultant corner.

Stanley had two glorious chances to extend the lead in the second half, Jordan Clark making a great run in the 52nd minute, beating his man and working his way into the box only to see his low shot saved by Roberts.

Two minutes later Sean McConville almost added to his goal tally this season with a magnificent curling effort, and with the ball looking destined for the top right corner, Roberts was able to get a hand to it and tip the ball over the crossbar.

The Reds defence was again forced to absorb a lot of pressure as Walsall searched for an equaliser.

Ripley made yet another top-class save in added time to keep out Zeli Ismail's powerful effort as Stanley secured back-to-back wins in League One.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account