Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stanley 1 Scunthorpe 1

1 September 2018

Club News

Stanley 1 Scunthorpe 1

1 September 2018

Accrington Stanley were held to a 1-1 draw with Scunthorpe United at the Wham Stadium to make it five games unbeaten in League One.

It's the Reds' third draw so far this season, and their second at home after two goals in the final ten minutes saw the spoils shared.

The visitors had produced little all game but took the lead from a corner in the 80th minute, Matthew Lund shooting through a crowd of bodies to put Scunthorpe ahead.

Barely a minute later, Stanley got the goal their play deserved from a corner of their own - Seamus Conneely racing in from the edge of the area to smash home Sean McConville's ball in.

John Coleman's side had had the better chances throughout the contest.

Stanley almost opened the scoring after just two minutes. The ball bouncing around the visitor's penalty area as the Reds piled forward at the kick off.

After Jordan Clark and Offrande Zanzala both saw shots blocked, Scott Brown's volley went just wide of the right-hand post.

Ten minutes later, Sean McConville found Mark Hughes from a corner, but Scunthorpe were able to get the ball clear with plenty of bodies in the box.

Chances kept coming for the Reds, as Callum Johnson raced down the right, finding Zanzala with a low ball. With his back to goal the striker tried to flick it past goalkeeper Jak Alnwick, but his effort went inches wide.

Sam Finley was the next to try his luck, Johnson again winning the ball back and finding Finley on the edge of the area. The midfielder shot from distance, but his effort dipped just over the crossbar.

The second half picked up just where the first had left off. Stanley showing plenty of intent in the open ten minutes of the second period.

On the 56th minute, Clark made a smart run into the box, beating two defenders only for an outstretched Alnwick to make the save.

A minute later the visitors registered their first shot on target in the match, substitute Ryan Colclough finding Lee Novak with a mishit shot, only for Connor Ripley to make a smart save down low to deny the striker.

With ten minutes left Scunthorpe pushed forward, Hughes clearing off the line for a corner.

The ball was swung in, came to the edge of the box as far as Lund, who was able to bundle the ball through the Reds defence to give the visitors the lead as Stanley were made to pay for their earlier missed chances.

However the lead was short lived, Conneely levelling the tie almost immediately.

Clark raced down the left, and after a couple of step-overs, won Stanley a corner. McConville played the ball in, and Conneely was on hand to thump the ball past Alnwick to earn Stanley a point.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account