Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stanley 1 Wycombe 2

27 November 2018

Stanley conceded a late goal to lose to Wycombe despite creating a host of chances and hitting the woodwork at the Wham Stadium.

The Reds looked comfortable thanks to Sean McConville's 15th minute strike and it needed heroics from keeper David Stockdale and the woodwork to stop Stanley extending their lead.They were made to pay when Wanderers sub Scott Kashket fired home the equaliser 12 minutes from time and then Alex Samuel scored a 91st minute winner.

McConville opened the scoring after Clark and Billy Kee had efforts blocked as the ball pinged around the area and it came out for the winger and he fired home – his seventh of the season.

From that point onwards, Stanley dominated the chances.

McConville's free kick whisked across goal while the wideman's shot from a tight angle was kept out by David Stockdale.

On-loan Birmingham keeper Stockdale produced a terrific save to keep out a Sam Finley curling strike which was heading for the top corner on 28 minutes.

Stockdale was in action again pushing away a Kee strike while Mackail-Smith turned and fired well over the home bar as Wycombe looked for an equaliser – but they had limited forays into the Stanley area.

A McConville free kick was just off-target and Stanley should have doubled their advantage on 42 minutes when Finley found Kee but his effort hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced into the grateful Stockdale's hands.

Stockdale was again the hero on the stroke of half-time superbly keeping out McConville's  25-yard free kick.

Wycombe came out stronger after the break and Gareth Ainsworth made a double substitution just after the hour mark with Kashket and Nathan Tyson entering the fray.

However Stanley still continued to make the more clear cut chances with a Sam Finley unable to get power behind a 72nd minute header.

But Wycombe struck on 78 minutes when Dominic Gape played the ball into the area and Kashket brought it down and drilled home.

The Reds thought they had got a in the 84th minute in a real goalmouth scramble with Mark Hughes trying to force the ball over with Stockdale scrambling on the line but referee Scott Oldham said it hadn't crossed the line.

Stockdale was again strong denying McConville but then Samuel broke Stanley's hearts.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account