Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stanley 1 Colchester 0

10 November 2018

Club News

Stanley 1 Colchester 0

10 November 2018

Accrington Stanley made it through to the Second Round of the Emirates FA Cup with a 1-0 win over Colchester, thanks to a Dan Barlaser deflected effort.

The Newcastle loan man struck in the 34th minute, his strike looping up off Harry Pell and into the bottom of the net.

It means the Reds have £36,000 in prize money with the draw on Monday.

Colchester started well but suffered a second minute injury blow when defender Tom Eastman had to leave the field following a clash of heads, Luke Prosser replacing him.

This didn't hinder them and it was the League Two side who then created the early chances.

Harry Pell, once a target of Stanley boss John Coleman, tested Connor Ripley with a strike from a tight angle which the stopper tipped around the post.

Ripley was in action again denying six-goal Sammy Szmodics from close range and the keeper then did well to deny Frank Nouble after the striker raced through one-on-one.

Stanley were struggling but came to life on 22 minutes with Billy Kee heading over the bar and Luke Charman curling a strike wide.

It got worse for the Us when keeper Rene Gilmartin went down injured – he limped off with sub keeper Dillon Barnes entering the field on 30 minutes.

Midfielder Barlaser then opened the scoring for Stanley – his second goal for the Reds – when a deflected effort looped over Barnes on 34 minutes.

The goal boosted Stanley as they pressed for a second with Sean McConville's 25-yard strike into the side netting on the stroke of half-time.

Jordan Clark could have extended the lead after the break but Barnes pulled off a superb save to deny him from a tight angle.

Colchester striker Nouble headed over the bar and the Reds had some desperate defending to do as the ball bobbled around the box just after the hour mark.

It was finely balanced with striker Kee's effort pushed out by Barnes and McConville's follow up was over the bar.

A Ben Richards-Everton point blank header was well kept out by Barnes on 82 minutes as Stanley looked to make the game safe but the one goal proved enough.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account