Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stanley 0 Barnsley 2

17 November 2018

Club News

Stanley 0 Barnsley 2

17 November 2018

Stanley fell to only their second home defeat of 2018 after being beaten 2-0 by Barnsley at the Wham Stadium.

Cauley Woodrow put the visitors ahead with just under ten minutes remaining in the first half, getting to Kieffer Moore's backheel and poking it past Connor Ripley.

Stanley battled hard in the second half in front of a record attendance of 4801, before Barnsley were reduced to ten men following Zeki Fryers dismissal after a foul on Callum Johnson, but were unable to bag an equaliser.

With the Reds committed to getting themselves a leveller, the visitors broke away and Moore got himself a late goal in the 94th minute to condemn Stanley to defeat.

Barnsley goalkeeper Jordan Smith, only recently joined on an emergency loan, had kept Barnsley in the game during the opening exchanges with two smart saves.

First, Jordan Clark fired a shot from distance from a well-worked corner routine in the fifth minute and Smith had to be alert to tip it over the bar.

Two minutes later, Sean McConville tried his luck from the left, cutting inside and hitting a shot that the Nottingham Forest loanee did well to turn behind.

The Reds were then put under pressure as the visitors grew into the game, but the defence stood firm to restrict them to few chances.

Ripley was called into action in the 21st minute, saving Dimitri Cavare's effort after Brad Potts pounced on a defensive error.

A quarter of an hour later, Ripley was powerless to prevent the visitors taking the lead, as the Tykes launched a quick attack down the right.

Moore got to the edge of the box on the right, cleverly backheeled the ball into the path of Woodrow, and the Fulham loanee slotted the ball home.

The second half began at a frantic pace, both sides pushing for a goal in real end-to-end action.

Brad Potts saw a volley blocked by Mark Hughes, and Ripley saved Mamadou Thiam's fierce shot, before a McConville free kick curled just past the right post.

McConville looked to lob Smith just before the hour-mark, and with the ball looking as though it was dropping in, the Barnsley goalkeeper was able to get back and claw it away from under the crossbar.

With 25 minutes left to play, Fryers picked up his second yellow card of the game for a nasty looking challenge on Johnson, but despite the numerical advantage Stanley were unable to find an equaliser.

Deep in added time, Barnsley wrapped up all three points, counter attacking in numbers, and although Potts saw his initial shot saved, Moore was there to turn it home.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account