Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Blackpool 3 Stanley 2

13 November 2018

Stanley were beaten 3-2 by Blackpool at Bloomfield Road in their final group game of the Checkatrade Trophy.

The Reds had taken the lead through Connor Hall's first goal for the club in the 17th minute, but fell behind after two well worked goals from Joe Dodoo and trailed at the break.

Blackpool extended their lead in the second half through Armand Gnanduillet in the 67th minute, as the hosts quickly turned defence into attack as Stanley looked to get themselves back into the game.

Hall scored his second of the night from the penalty spot in added time, but Stanley were unable to find an equaliser.

With Stanley already guaranteed a spot in the next round of the competition, manager John Coleman made seven changes to the side that knocked Colchester United out of the FA Cup on Saturday.

Jonny Maxted started in goal, with Ross Sykes and Matt Platt coming in for Mark Hughes and Callum Johnson in defence. There were a trio of changes in the middle with Piero Mingoia, Seamus Conneely and Scott Brown all starting, and Hall replaced Billy Kee up top.

Stanley almost took the lead in the first three minutes with a well worked attack down the left, Hall making a run to the left edge of the area, cutting the ball back into the path of Mingoia, who smashed a shot off the underside of the bar.

The ball appeared to have just crossed the line as it came down, but referee Ollie Yates waved away the players' protests.

There was no doubt for Hall's opener however.

Conneely smashed a low shot from range which cannoned off the left upright and fell to the Bolton loanee, who fired home for his first goal for the club.

Maxted was powerless to prevent Blackpool's equaliser, with former Red John O'Sullivan finding Dodoo in the penalty area with a header, and the striker scored a spectacular overhead kick on the half-hour.

Stanley continued to press, and looked the more likely to score, but were undone on the counter-attack 11 minutes later.

Callum Guy played in Dodoo for his second of the night with a low through-ball, the front man raced clear and rounded Maxted to give the Seasiders the lead.

Gnanduillet made it three for the hosts with just over twenty minutes to play, as Blackpool stood firm in defence before racing forward, and the striker had space to set himself and fire a right-footed shot into the bottom left corner.

Stanley never stopped looking for a way back into the contest as the second half came to a close, before Jordan Clark was fouled in the area as the fourth official raised his board to show added time.

Up stepped Hall for his second of the night, smashing it to Boney's right, but Stanley were unable to find a late leveller.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account