Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stanley 3 Port Vale 2

20 January 2018

Club News

Stanley 3 Port Vale 2

20 January 2018

Accrington Stanley completed a stunning second-half comeback to beat Port Vale 3-2 at the Wham Stadium.

The Reds trailed at the break to Tom Pope and Michael Tonge goals, but they were handed a lifeline when Sean McConville slotted home in the 52nd minute.

Just over 60 seconds later, and they were level, when Billy Kee popped up inside the box to head home his 17th goal of the season.

The turnaround was complete in the 72nd minute, McConville firing home his second of the match to hand Stanley all three points in dramatic fashion.

The visitors took an early lead, in just the third minute, the Valiants got the ball out wide before David Worrall delivered for Pope, who managed to squirm a header underneath the arms of Aaron Chapman.

The Reds responded well and ventured forward with intent several times, Kayden Jackson was looking lively and flashed several balls across the face of goal but nobody was there to send the goalwards.

Ben Richards-Everton came closest to levelling it up in the 36th minute, from a Sean McConville corner the big defender climbed high, but planted his header inches wide of the far post.

Stanley were made to pay just five minutes later, Port Vale were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area which Tonge drilled home, via a sea of bodies, into the bottom corner to put his side two ahead at the break.

Seven minutes into the second period, Stanley had a lifeline. Kee held the ball up well inside the area before a calm lay-off found the advancing McConville who drilled it into the bottom corner.

And, straight from the restart, the Reds drew level. Jordan Clark slid a ball across the face of goal, it found Jackson at the back post, who smashed it towards goal before Kee stooped low to head home his sixth goal in six games.

The comeback was complete in the 72nd minute. Callum Johnson darted down the right, his curling cross found Kee, who once again turned to find McConville racing into the area.

Stanley's stand-in skipper made no mistake, again, and fired beyond Ryan Boot to make it 3-2. Sparking joyous celebrations in front of the delighted Reds supporters.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account