Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stanley 1 Cambridge 0

24 February 2018

Club News

Stanley 1 Cambridge 0

24 February 2018

Kayden Jackson scored the only goal of the game as Accrington Stanley racked up a sixth straight home win beating Cambridge 1-0.

The hard earned three points moved Stanley second in Sky Bet League Two on an afternoon when promotion rivals dropped points.

It was a tight affair, that saw the U's enjoy the better of the early running, striking the bar and working Aaron Chapman on a couple of occasions in the first half.

But in the 57th minute Jackson secured all three points for the Reds, seizing on a mix-up in the Cambridge backline beyond drilling home his 13th of the season.

Stanley started brightly but failed to work David Forde in the early stages, Jordan Clark and Callum Johnson combined well down the right on a couple of ocassions but could only flash balls across the face of goal, before skipper Seamus Conneely connected sweetly with a half-volley which was blocked by Gary Deegan.

The visitors grew into the games as the half progressed and thought they'd taken the lead when Liam O'Neil thundered a header off the crossbar, before Jevani Brown saw his low shot saved smartly by Aaron Chapman.

It wasn't until the 44th minute that Stanley worked Forde for the first time, the returning Sean McConville hit his volley well but the goalkeeper parried the ball to safety, ensuring the half would end goalless.

Three minutes into the second period and Cambridge were presented with a golden opportunity to take the lead, Jimmy Dunne lost possession on the edge of the area allowing Uche Ikpeazu through one one one with Chapman, but the goalkeeper thwarted the powerful forward with a superb stop with his legs.

Just before the hour mark Stanley edged ahead, the lively Jackson nipped in to take the ball from George Daft in a dangerous position - the forward twisting and turning inside the area, before slamming home a low shot beneath Forde, to notch his 13th goal of the season.

The visitors responded well, Billy Waters forcing Chapman into another strong save before Billy Kee came close to doubling to the Reds advantage - his header inches the wrong side of the bar.

With 15 minutes remaining the returning Brad Halliday spurned a glorious opportunity to fire the U's level, he had time and space inside the area but could only drill his shot wide of the far post.

In the end that was about as good as it got for the visitors, who despite late pressure, couldn't find an equaliser as Stanley took all three points to move second in Sky Bet League Two.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account