Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Plymouth 0 Stanley 3

22 December 2018

Sam Finley scored his first league goal to help Stanley to a welcome three points at Plymouth Argyle after four league defeats on bounce.

Midfielder Finley headed home in the 61st minute – his third goal of the campaign since moving from AFC Fylde in the summer, with the other two in cup games.

Winger Sean McConville fired home his eighth of the season four minutes later before Jordan Clark made the scoreline more emphatic on 77 minutes as Stanley moved up to 10th in the League One table.

John Coleman started with Seamus Conneely returning to replace Offrande Zanzala in the starting XI.

Stanley had an early let-off when Freddie Lapado cut into the box with keeper Connor Ripley denying him with his legs.

It was end-to-end with McConville's strike kept out by former Stanley loan keeper Matt Macey, from Arsenal, while Mark Hughes made an important block in his own area.

Stanley were breathing a sigh of relief on 18 minutes when Joel Grant got the ball in the six-yard box but couldn't get a clear shot at goal and the Reds managed to clear.

Five minutes later it was Argyle who were relieved when winger McConville's blast had Macey beaten but crashed off the crossbar.

Stanley were on the hunt and Clark was denied by Macey before Finley's follow-up was blocked by Yann Sango'o.

Lapado was a dangerman for Plymouth and four minutes before the break he raced down the left with his curling effort over the bar.

Clark fired wide on the stroke of half-time as neither side could break the deadlock before the interval.

Plymouth created the first real chance after the break with Luke Jephcott firing wide from close range.

The Reds then enjoyed a spell of pressure forcing a number of corners with McConville's strike saved again by Macey and the winger's ball across goal just needing a touch.

Ripley denied Graham Carey before Finley gave Stanley the lead.

The midfielder headed home the opener on 61 minutes with a ball in from the right and then he had a hand in number two which followed quickly, just four minutes later.

Finley's ball found winger McConville who cut into the area and his shot hit the inside of the post and bounced into the net.

Plymouth's Ryan Taylor had a strike saved just after as they looked for a way back and Ruben Lameiras fired over in a decent position.

Ripley again was in action turning Carey's effort around the post but then Kee found Clark who twisted and turned in the area before firing home 13 minutes from time.

Ripley battled to keep a clean sheet denying Jephcott and Taylor in quick succession late on and then keeping out a Lameiras goalbound strike two minutes from time as Stanley celebrated a much-needed league win.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account