Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stanley 1 Charlton 1

18 August 2018

Club News

Stanley 1 Charlton 1

18 August 2018

Jordan Clark was the Stanley hero as his goal secured the Reds a point in their first ever league meeting with Charlton.

The Addicks opened the scoring through Karlan Grant with his header ruled to have crossed the line by the assistant referee on 15 minutes.

However the Reds looked strong in the second half , Clark scored and they were unlucky not to take all three points.

It was an eventful opening as the ball went from end-to-end.

Callum Johnson had Stanley's first shot, firing at keeper Dillon Phillips on two minutes while Ben Richards-Everton blocked an effort from Patrick Bauer.

Sean McConville played in a dangerous cross which Phillips could only push out but Sam Finley fired over while Stanley keeper Connor Ripley, on his home debut, had to jump high to collect Lewis Page's curling ball into the box.

The opening goal came on 15 minutes when Page's ball from the left found forward Grant who headed it and the ball came off the underside of the crossbar and bounced down with the assistant flagging to say it had crossed the line.

It could have been two on 17 minutes with Grant's effort from distance narrowly wide while Darren Pratley wasn't far off with his 20 yard effort as the Addicks piled on the pressure.

However Stanley came back and enjoyed a spell of possession towards the end of the first half and almost grabbed an equaliser on 44 minutes but Billy Kee headed narrowly wide from McConville's cross.

Charlton started the second half well with Ripley denying Page but Stanley again came back into the game but couldn't find a way past the Charlton defence.

Darren Pratley forced a good save out of Ripley on 62 minutes while the Reds appealed for a penalty on 67 minutes for handball following Finley's cross but referee Ross Joyce was having none of it.

Defender Nick Anderton came on for his Stanley debut on 70 minutes and Charlton were forced into some desperate defending.

Winger Clark went on the hunt for an equaliser, Phillips pushing away his dangerous cross, but in the next attack it was all-square.

Finley's ball in caused chaos in the Charlton area with both McConville and Offrande Zanzala being denied before Clark followed up to level on 78 minutes.

Zanzala wasn't far off grabbing the winner but headed just wide on 84 minutes, Clark burst through but was denied by Phillips and there was a frantic scramble in injury time but Charlton held on for a point.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account