Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Mansfield 6 Stanley 1

14 August 2018

Club News

Mansfield 6 Stanley 1

14 August 2018

Accrington Stanley have been knocked out of the Carabao Cup in the first round after being beaten 6-1 by Mansfield Town.

Five goals were scored in the first half, with the Reds taking the lead through Sam Finley before Stags striker Tyler Walker bagged a hat-trick, and Otis Khan fired low past Jonny Maxted.

Danny Rose made it five for the hosts within moments of coming off the bench in the second half, before CJ Hamilton added a sixth right at the death in what proved to be a miserable night for Stanley.

John Coleman named six changes to the side that earned Stanley their first League One victory last Saturday, with Connor Ripley, Callum Johnson, Ben Richards-Everton and Jordan Clark dropping to the bench, and Ross Sykes not named in the squad.

Striker Billy Kee was also absent after the birth of his second child earlier in the afternoon.

Jonny Maxted was recalled to the starting line-up, alongside Harvey Rodgers at right back.

Summer signings Sam Finley, Will Wood and Matthew Platt all made their first starts for the Reds, with Piero Mingoia making his second debut for the club.

Finley, who has impressed with two appearances from the bench in the league, scored his first goal for the Reds after six minutes, surging into the box and shrugging off his man to fire low past Bobby Olejnik.

The hosts were soon level though, Walker racing into the box, knocking the ball past Maxted before being brought down by the onrushing goalkeeper.

The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot, before the striker picked himself up and slotted the ball past Maxted to level the match.

Barely four minutes later Mansfield were awarded a second penalty after the referee's assistant flagged for a foul by Scott Brown on the byline.

Walker stepped up again and fired home to Maxted's right to give the Stags a 2-1 lead.

The Reds were immediately put under pressure again, and when Calum Butcher found Khan on the counter attack, he made no mistake in smashing the ball past Maxted into the bottom left corner to double Mansfield's lead and make it 3-1 after just 16 minutes.

Stanley should have perhaps had a penalty in the 26th minute after Offrande Zanzala appeared to be fouled, but he stayed on his feet and referee Sebastian Stockbridge instead signalled for a corner.

The Reds battled to try and get themselves another goal in the first half, but in stoppage time it was the home side that found the back of the net, Walker scoring his third after racing onto Khan's low pass and flicking the ball past Maxted.

The second half was relatively tame in comparison. John Coleman's side tried to find their way back into the game but Mansfield were content with their lead, sitting back and trying to catch Stanley on the break.

That is how the Stag's fifth of the night came about, breaking in numbers on the Reds defence before substitute Rose found time and space in the area to shoot past Maxted and put the tie beyond all doubt.

Just seconds before the final whistle Mansfield came forward again, Hamilton receiving the ball to the left of the penalty area, cutting inside and firing home to condemn the Red's to a heavy defeat.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account