Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Wycombe 0 Stanley 4

21 April 2018

Club News

Wycombe 0 Stanley 4

21 April 2018

Stanley moved a step closer to a historic League Two title as they celebrated an emphatic 4-0 win at Wycombe.

The Reds extended their unbeaten run to a stunning 15 games – with 13 wins in that – as their lead at the top is now six points.

Luton drew at Carlisle to win promotion themselves and they are the only team who can catch the Reds – but they need to win their last two games and Stanley lose their final three as John Coleman's side need a point to be crowned ‘championies.'

Kayden Jackson, Scott Brown, Sean McConville and a 94th minute Offrande Zanzala penalty - his first goal for Stanley - sealed the memorable win.

Wycombe, who stayed in third place despite the loss, were without their prolific frontman Ade Akinfenwa who was injured in their goalless draw with Lincoln midweek.

But they started off strongly and should have opened the scoring in the third minute when Nathan Tyson caught Aaron Chapman off his line and he chipped it over the keeper but also wide of the far post.

Scott Kashket's shot from an angle was kept out by Chapman while the keeper dived low to keep out a certain goal from a diving Paris Cowan-Hall header.

Stanley's first chance didn't come until the 13th minute when Jackson flicked the ball over his shoulder but it was narrowly over the goal.However Jackson opened the scoring on 15 minutes when a long ball over the top was charged onto by the striker. It looked like keeper Scott Brown would collect it but Jackson nipped in and had the easiest of tasks to roll home his 16th goal of the season into the empty net.

Another good move involving Billy Kee and Jackson ended with a Jordan Clark effort deflected wide as Stanley looked for a second.

It came when midfielder Scott Brown volleyed home his first league goal of the season on 33 minutes – beating his namesake in the Wycombe goal with a superb 20-yard strike.

Sean McConville looked for a third but Brown denied him while Wycombe looked for a breakthrough on the stroke of half-time but couldn't get past a solid Stanley defence.

Adam El-Abd headed just over the bar for the home side after the re-start while a clash of heads saw Billy Kee play the rest of the game with his head bandaged up.

Stanley were clinical and they made it three on 66 minutes when Kee flicked the ball on for McConville and he slotted home to celebrate in front of the ecstatic visiting fans.

Coleman made three substitutions – which is unusual for the Reds boss! – with Offrande Zanzala, Ben Richards-Everton and Danny Williams coming on in the final six minutes.

Zanzala was fouled in the area on 94 minutes and the striker dusted himself down, with Kee off the pitch, to fire home the fourth.

The champagne is still on ice for the title for Stanley and they travel to Newport on Tuesday on the hunt for that vital point.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account