Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Newport 2 Stanley 1

24 April 2018

Stanley's title champagne is still on ice as former Red Padraig Amond and Frank Nouble scored the goals to end Accrington's 15-game unbeaten run.

Striker Amond pounced in the 30th minute and winger Nouble made it safe five minutes from time although Billy Kee did fire home his 26th goal of the campaign with keeper Joe Day and the woodwork also denying Stanley.

John Coleman's men still need a point with two games left to clinch the championship ahead of Luton Town.

Mid-table Newport had the better opening chances at Rodney Parade with Amond heading at Aaron Chapman while Nouble fired narrowly over the bar.

Amond opened the scoring on 30 minutes with a superb strike, getting the ball to the right of the area and firing powerfully past Chapman – his 14th goal of the season.

Nouble could have had a second after being given time to run and pick his spot but Chapman finger-tipped the ball over the bar.

Sean McConville tried to get Stanley back on level terms before the break but his shot from an acute angle was held by Day – his first real save of the game on 41 minutes.

Amond remained a threat after the interval, getting the better of the Stanley defence but his strike was pushed out by Chapman.

Stanley then upped their game and should have equalised on 51 minutes when Jackson left the Newport defence with his pace, found Kee in the area but Day somehow denied the striker with his legs.

Frontman Jackson was hunting for his 16th goal of the season but Day denied him twice while the Exiles keeper pushed out a Jordan Clark goalbound effort.

And Coleman had his head in his hands when a McConville corner found the head of Jimmy Dunne  with his effort pushed out by Day and Mark Hughes could only hit the post in the resulting scramble on 66 minutes.

Offrande Zanzala, scorer of the fourth goal against Wycombe on Saturday, came on for Callum Johnson on 75 minutes as Coleman changed to 3-4-3.

But Newport had the next best chance with an Amond strike blocked by the heel of Dunne while Nouble's effort wasn't far off the top corner.

Chapman again denied Amond on 80 minutes but Nouble found a way past the Stanley keeper with a low shot which nestled into the net from the edge of the area on 85 minutes.

There was still time for Stanley to get one back with Jimmy Dunne and Kee scrambling the ball home on 90 minutes but Stanley couldn't find the equaliser in five minutes of added time.

So it's onto Lincoln at the Wham Stadium on Saturday as Stanley look for that all-important point.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account