Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stanley 1 Grimsby 2

12 September 2017

Club News

Stanley 1 Grimsby 2

12 September 2017

Accrington Stanley's four-match unbeaten run came to an end, losing 2-1 to Grimsby Town at the Wham Stadium.

Following a quiet opening the visitors took the lead through Sam Jones but were pegged back immediately by Kayden Jackson's fifth goal of the season.

The deciding goal came just two minutes into the second-half as Martyn Woolford tapped home from the tightest of angles to give Russell Slade's men all three points.

Stanley had an early scare when the lively Siriki Dembele found his way in behind the back four following a clever ball by Sam Jones, he was met by the on-rushing Aaron Chapman though, who smothered his low-effort.

The Reds first real opportunity of the evening came in the 21st minute, when Mark Hughes broke free from his marker to meet a Sean McConville corner at the near post, he glanced a header which was headed towards the bottom corner but there was Davies on the line to clear it to safety.

After a quiet opening period the game sprung to life just two minutes before the break as Grimsby took the lead, after Davies play Jones through one on one with Chapman before the forward flicked the ball over his head and tapped home into the net.

Less than two minutes later Stanley were fired level by Kayden Jackson, who brought the ball down on the right hand side, advanced into the box and rocketed a low shot underneath McKeown to send the Reds into half-time level.

Mallik Wilks replaced Billy Kee for the second-half, the forward had struggled with an early injury, and it was almost an instant impact for the Leeds loanee, who raced onto a Jackson pass and saw a low effort saved by the legs of McKeown.

Seconds later Stanley fell behind again, a ball into the box found its way to Martyn Woolford at the back post, who calmly side-footed the ball beyond Chapman and into the bottom corner.

In a breathless start to the half, the Reds thought they'd levelled things up courtesy of another McConville effort, but the midfielder bent an effort millimetres wide of the far post from a tight angle outside the box.

Stanley continued to probe for the equaliser, but found clear chances few and far between as Grimsby kept the game very tight; McConville and Nolan had efforts on goal but were restricted to shots from distance.

Nolan twice went close again as the clocked raced towards 90, rolling an effort wide of the post before flicking a header from a McConville free-kick straight into the arms of a grateful McKeown.

Attendance: 1288

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account