Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Morecambe 1 Stanley 2

2 September 2017

Club News

Morecambe 1 Stanley 2

2 September 2017

Accrington Stanley ran out 2-1 winners in a breathless local derby with Morecambe at the Globe Arena, as John Coleman's side went third in League Two.

Billy Kee's first half goal put the Reds ahead before Jordan Clark settled things in the 89th minute, following a barrage of Accrington pressure.

Morecambe played the majority of the second period with 10-men after Vadaine Oliver was shown a straight red card for a late tackle on Kee but found a late consolation through Kevin Ellison in the fourth minute of stoppage time.

There was a raucous local derby atmosphere on the coast and Stanley made a lively start, Kayden Jackson almost capitalising on a mix-up in the Morecambe defence but saw his effort thwarted by Barry Roche.

The Reds went close again through skipper Seamus Conneely after Sean McConville's clever ball, but Conneely couldn't keep his volley underneath the bar.

Debutant Max Stryjek saw his first professional start curtailed cruelly in the ninth minute, after claiming a ball inside the area and clashing with a Morecambe forward the goalkeeper had to be replaced by Aaron Chapman.

Stanley took the lead in fine fashion just after the half-hour when Billy Kee picked up the ball in space, advanced, before drilling a low effort beyond Roche from 25-yards out.

The lead was almost doubled from a McConville corner, debutant Farrend Rawson rose above all but clipped his header against the base of the post.

After an explosive first half the game burst back into life in the 57th minute when Vadaine Oliver was shown a straight red card for a badly timed sliding tackle on Kee, from the resulting free-kick McConville saw his curling effort tipped onto the bar by Roche.

The red card ignited the atmosphere at the Globe Arena but Stanley continue to pound on the Shrimps' door, creating chance after chance.

Jackson was again denied by the impressive Roache before substitute Mallik Wilks almost made an instant impact once again, bending a first time effort just around the wrong side of the post.

Another Stanley debut came to an early end as the impressive Rawson hobble off to be replaced by Reagan Ogle with 20 minutes remaining, as Morecambe began to throw bodies forward in search of an equaliser.

But still the Stanley chances continued to come, McConville picked out Clark free at the back post but his effort found the side netting, the second goal just wouldn't come!

With a minute left on the clock the pressure finally told, Jackson raced away a squared a ball for Clark to tap home, sparking wild celebrations from the travelling Stanley support behind the goal.

There was still time for Ellison to nod home a late goal for the home side, but the whistle was blown shortly after as Stanley claimed a deserved three points.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account