Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Chesterfield 1 Stanley 2

16 September 2017

Club News

Chesterfield 1 Stanley 2

16 September 2017

Mallik Wilks 83rd minute strike gave Stanley a thrilling 2-1 win at Chesterfield, following a breathless afternoon of football at the Proact Stadium.

It was 0-0 at the break but an end-to-end second period saw three goals and a red card as Chesterfield's Bradley Barry got his marching orders.

Billy Kee gave the Reds the lead but it was cancelled out by Krystian Dennis' penalty before Wilks struck seven minutes from time to give his side all three points.

Stanley came roaring out of the blocks and were almost handed the perfect start in the 3rd minute, following a good run down the right hand side from Janoi Donacien, who picked out Sean McConville free at the back post, the winger took a touch but fired a low-effort straight at Joe Anyon who palmed the ball to safety.

In a half when chances came few and far between, it took a well-worked Stanley free-kick in the 32nd minute to fashion an effort on goal; McConville took it quickly to Kayden Jackson for a one-two before curling a ball into the box, Kee rose above all but thundered a header off the bar.

Chesterfield grew into the game but failed to register a meaningful effort on goal; Jordan Flores glanced a header wide and Dennis hit a tame effort straight at Aaron Chapman.

On the stroke of half-time it was another free-kick from a similar position that led to a chance for the visitors, McConville clipped a ball into the box and saw it cleared straight back into his path, he took a touch and fizzed an effort on goal which was tipped over by the finger tips of Anyon, to again deny him.

The second-half began with a Spireites attack, Diego De Girolamo twisting an turning on the edge of the box before firing an effort over the bar, producing ironic cheers from the home faithful.

Chapman was forced into action moments later, a short corner found it's way to Dennis inside the area who hit a low shot but the big goalkeeper did superbly to get down and smother the ball to safety.

The home side cranked up the pressure on the hour mark, with Louis Reed going close before penalty appeals for an alleged handball by Donaicen were waved away.

But the momentum swung in the 63rd minute when Barry was shown a straight red card for a dangerous challenge on Seamus Conneely, the midfielder could have no complaints after going in with his studs showing.

It took the Reds just six minutes to make the man advantage count, the ball falling kindly to Kee at the back post and the striker made no mistake crashing an effort low and beyond Anyon.

With 15 minutes remaining Chesterfield won a penalty as Dennis was hauled down by Farrend Rawson inside the area, the forward dusted himself down to score the penalty, firing it down the middle.

The game had burst into and end-to-end breathless affair, both sides had their chances, but seven minutes from time substitute Mallik Wilks turned on the edge of the area before firing a stunning finish low into the bottom corner, to send all three points back to the Wham Stadium.

Attendance: 4487 (198 Stanley)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account