Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stanley 0 Luton 2

7 October 2017

Club News

Stanley 0 Luton 2

7 October 2017

Accrington Stanley were defeated 2-0 at home to Luton Town in a fiery contest at the Wham Stadium, as the Reds failed to score for the first time this season.

First-half goals from James Collins and Danny Hylton was enough to consign the Reds to just their third home defeat of 2017.

Stanley produced a spirited second-half performance but couldn't find their way through a staunch Luton back four.

There was an early Stanley penalty appeal after Liam Nolan's half-volley took a couple of deflections on it's way through to goal but referee Martin Coy didn't see a Luton hand.

The first real effort on goal came from the visitors Olly Lee who adavnced into the area before hitting a low strike straight at Aaron Chapman.

Seconds later Luton took the lead, Lee rose highest inside the area, sending a header towards goal where it was stabbed home from close range by Collins.

Stanley responded well to falling behind, Jordan Clark trying his luck from distance and forcing Marek Stech into his first save of the game.

A goalmouth fracas broke out just after the half-hour mark, there was a coming together between Mark Hughes and Dan Potts that saw the latter go into the book after lengthy deliberation between all four officials.

Two minutes before the break a well-worked Luton corner led to Janoi Donacien being judged to have brought down Alan Sheehan for a penalty. Hylton made no mistake from the spot, blasting an effort beyond Chapman.

The Reds started the second period on the front foot and fashioned out the first shot on goal, Jordan Thorniley's cross finding the advancing Sean McConville who could only guide a shot straight at Stech.

John Coleman made a double change as the game approached the hour-mark, Mallik Wilks and Mekhi McLeod replacing Jordan Clark and McConville as Stanley searched for a way back into it.

McLeod picked up from his electric performance on Tuesday evening, cutting inside and driving an effort towards goal within three minutes of his introduction, his effort was thwarted by Stech.

Stanley enjoyed their best spell of pressure mid-way through the half with Scott Brown testing Stech from the corner of the box and continued to press forward but couldn't find their way through Nathan Jones's mens tight defence.

Attendance: 2,193

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account