Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Crewe 0 Stanley 2

21 October 2017

Two goals inside the first ten minutes of the game were enough to see Accrington Stanley move back into the automatic promotion places with a 2-0 win away at Crewe.

Stanley made a dream start as Gresty Road as Billy Kee and Jordan Clark both struck inside the first 10 minutes to put the Reds in front.

Following a desperate start the home side grew into the game but failed to cause Aaron Chapman too many problems and saw captain Michael Raynes sent off late-on as Stanley cruised to the three points.

Manager John Coleman named an unchanged side as he looked for a reaction from the side that were beaten 3-2 at Stevenage on Tuesday evening.

He got that reaction in just the third minute as forward duo Kee and Kayden Jackson combined well before the latter was bundled over inside the area; the referee pointed to the spot instantly and Kee made no mistake belting home his 10th of the season in all competitions.

Stanley were rampant and doubled their advantage just seven minutes later, a superb move started by Clark saw Jackson stopped by Dave Richards in the Crewe Alex goal but he could only parry it straight back into the path of Clark for the winger to head home his second goal in as many matches.

Falling two behind appeared the shake the home side into life as Jordan Bowery and then Conor Grant took aim at the Stanley goal, but both fired low shots just wide of Aaron Chapman's post.

The rain began to pour at Gresty Road as the second-half began, Stanley passed the ball around with confidence but were restricted to shots from distance by Kee and Liam Nolan in the early exchanges.

In the week Coleman called for his side to start putting 'daylight' between themselves and the opposition, Sean McConville came inches away from doing just that in the 70th minute, bending an effort from the edge of the area inches wide of Richards' far post.

Crewe were reduced to 10-men in the 82nd minute as skipper Raynes received a second yellow card for hauling down substitute Mallik Wilks who had broken free in a dangerous position.

The first major threat to the Stanley goal came in the second minute of stoppage time as the ball fell kindly to Bowery at the back-post but the forward was denied by a fine Chapman reaction save - as the goalkeeper kept a deserved cleansheet in tact.

Attendance: 3,849 (245 travelling Stanley fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account