Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stanley 1 Newport 1

18 November 2017

Club News

Stanley 1 Newport 1

18 November 2017

There was late drama at the Wham Stadium as substitute Mallik Wilks struck an 88th minute equaliser to rescue a point for Stanley at home to Newport County.

The Reds had fallen behind to Frank Nouble's strike just three minutes into the second-half, and despite coming under a barrage of pressure, looked like they were going to do enough to win.

But as Stanley continued to push forward, on-loan Leeds United forward Mallik Wilks lashed home his fourth goal of the season from close-range, ensuring John Coleman's left with a deserved point.

Skipper Seamus Conneely missed out with a groin injury meaning Sean McConville retained the armband for a second match running, as Scott Brown and Jordan Clark came into the side for Liam Nolan and Erico Sousa.

Newport signalled their intentions in the opening five minutes as two huge throws from Mickey Demetriou caused havoc in the Stanley area as Nouble twice tested Aaron Chapman with close-range efforts.

The visitors goalkeeper was fortunate to escape action when he raced off his lane and brought down the advancing Kayden Jackson, who appeared to have the goal in his sights.

Following a tough start, the Reds began to get a grip of the game and came close to opening the scoring in the 31st minute when Jackson turned sharply on the edge of the box and drilled a low shot inches wide of Day's far post.

Just three minutes into the second period Newport took the lead, a fine finish from Nouble who had made the run to meet Robbie Willmott's low cross at the front post, lifting the ball into the roof of the net.

Stanley's best chance yet came just after the hour-mark, Jackson drilled a delivery across the area, it sat up kindly for the advancing Clark but the winger's strike was turned behind by the feet of Day.

The away side almost stung Stanley with a rapid counter-attack in the 68th minute, he darted down the right hand side and almost snuck a low shot between Chapman and his near post but the goalkeeper was able to keep it out.

Billy Kee struck the bar with a header in the 72nd minute, following good work by Ben Richards-Everton to turn a Sean McConville free-kick back across the face of goal.

Manager John Coleman switched to a 3-4-3 formation for the final 10 minutes, as Wilks replaced Jordan Thorniley, with almost the entire game now being played inside the Newport half.

With two minutes left on the clock, the pressure told, there was pinball inside the Stanley area, Kee was brought down, Mekhi McLeod saw a shot blocked, before the ball finally fell to Wilks to thunder an effort through a sea of bodies and into the net.

Attendance: 1,371

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account