Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stanley 2 Mansfield 1

19 August 2017

Club News

Stanley 2 Mansfield 1

19 August 2017

Billy Kee struck a stoppage time winner as Accrington Stanley beat Mansfield Town 2-1 in a fiery encounter.

Stanley took the lead in the 10th minute through Kayden Jackson, the forward's fourth goal in three games.

That lead was soon cancelled out by Lee Angol who bundled home from a Danny Rose flick-on.

Just as it appeared both sides would have to settle for a point, Kee popped up inside the area to secure John Coleman's side another late victory.

Stanley's first chance of the game led to the opening goal, Jackson turning sharply inside the area before firing a low shot beyond Conrad Logan.

In the 25 minute, following a good spell of pressure, Mansfield found an equaliser in bizarre fashion. Rose flicked a ball on inside the area before Angol beat Aaron Chapman to the ball to stab home into an empty net.

The game opened up into an end-to-end battle with Zander Diamond twice going close with free headers before referee Darren Bond waved away furious Stanley protests when Jackson was hauled down inside the area by Hayden White.

Following a breathless first-half, the second period began slowly with both sides battling to impose themselves on proceedings.

The first real chance of the half came in the 66th minute when Krystian Pearce found himself free at the back post but the defender could only head Mal Benning's corner wide of the post.

Stanley's first opportunity of the half came ten minutes from time when Billy Kee flicked a header into the path of Jackson, with Logan stranded the striker's shot was goal bound, until a crucial interception from Benning hooked the ball behind for a corner.

Just as the match appeared to be heading for stalement, Kee popped up inside the area in to bundle home Sean McConville's corner, sparking huge celebrations at the Wham Stadium.

Attendance: 1645 (481 Mansfield)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account