Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Notts County 2 Stanley 2

25 August 2017

Club News

Notts County 2 Stanley 2

25 August 2017

Debutant Mallik Wilks scored an injury time equaliser as Accrington Stanley drew 2-2 with Notts County at Meadow Lane.

Stanley trailed by two goals after a Jon Stead penalty and a Jorge Grant strike and their task was made all the more difficult when substitute Mekhi McLeod was sent off halfway through the second period.

But a Mark Hughes volley gave his side hope, before Leeds United loanee Wilks popped up at the back post to score a dramatic equaliser on his debut.

In a tight first-half that saw Stanley enjoyed lots of early possession, opportunities came at a premium as both defences looked strong.

The first real shooting chance of the evening came in the 28th minute, Shola Ameobi getting on the end of a long ball and wriggling free on the edge of the area, but the experienced forward could only fire wide.

The opening goal would come fives minutes later from the penalty spot, an seemingly innocuous aerial challenge between Seamus Conneely and Jon Stead led to referee Carl Boyeson awarding the home side the penalty.

Stead would dust himself and convert the kick himself, Aaron Chapman went the right way but couldn't get a hand to it.

Notts County flew out the traps in the second half, twice forcing Chapman into splendid saves to keep his side in the game.

The first saw him tip Jorge Grant's 25-yard drive round the pos,t before he got a strong hand to an Ameobi header moments later, digging the ball, which was headed for the bottom corner, out and behind for a corner.

It took just nine second-half minuntes for the County pressure to tell, a flowing move engineered by Terry Hawkrdige, who squared the ball to Grant on the edge of the penalty area to fire low and hard beyond Chapman.

The second goal seemed to bring Stanley to life and they hit back almost instantly, Sean McConville floated a free-kick into the path of Mark Hughes at the back post, the defender took a touch before drilling an effort home courtesy of the crossbar.

As the Reds had a foothold back into the game, manager John Coleman introduced Mekhi McLeod, but just seven minutes later the substitute was given a straight red for a late challenge on Ryan Yates.

A nasty looking shoulder injury led to Ben Richards-Everton being stretchered from the field and nine minutes of added time being played.

In the first minute of time added on, the playing field was levelled as Matt Tootle received his marching orders for a second yellow card.

In the fifth minute of those nine, 18-year-old substitue Mallik Wilks fired Stanley level, collecting the ball at the back post before arrowing an effort beyond Adam Collin securing a deserved point for the Reds.

Attendance: 6087 (Accrington 154)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account