Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Colchester 1 Stanley 2

24 September 2016

Stanley came from a goal down to beat Colchester United and notch up a third successive win in League Two.

The Reds, who ended with ten men, trailed to Drey Wright's early goal but secured the three points thanks to second half goals from Rommy Boco and Billy Kee.

The home side were on the front foot early on and only Matty Pearson's defensive prowess stopped them from taking a third minute lead. The centre back was called into action to clear a strike from former Reds loanee Tariqe Fosu off the line.

Parity only remained for minutes though, with Wright opening the scoring soon after. Fosu was again involved down the right, laying the ball off to his fellow wideman who picked out the bottom left corner of the net from outside the penalty area.

Prompted into action Stanley sought an equaliser, with Jordan Clark cutting in from the left and seeing his strike deflected behind for a corner before Sean McConville's free kick was headed goalwards by Pearson and his effort forced a good save from Colchester keeper Sam Walker.

Elliot Parish only had one more meaningful first half save against his old club, holding another long ranger from Wright before Richard Brindley lashed over the bar, but at the other end the Reds could only muster a header from Omar Beckles which bounced down into the ground and was comfortable for Walker.

The second half started in similar fashion the end of the first with neither side creating much as Brindley went closest with another shot over the bar.

But everything changed just short of the hour mark thanks to Boco. The man fans call the King of Benin levelled things up with a super solo goal, breaking from the half way line all the way into the Colchester box and beating Walker with a shot that may have taken a deflection.

Nine minutes later the turnaround was complete. Captain for the afternoon Scott Brown tenaciously got into the box down the right and crossed from the byline to set up Kee. The striker tapped home from close range for his fourth of the season to make it 2-1 to the Reds.

John McGreal's Colchester piled on the pressure to try to pull things level again, with the Stanley defence forced to repel a series of deliveries into the box.

The Reds might have extended their lead when sub Terry Gornell latched onto a long ball in the box but could only guide the ball square.

Instead Colchester continued to press for a leveller with Janoi Donacien blocking well from Brennan Dickenson before Pearson recovered wonderfully to thwart sub Femi Akinwande.

Into six minutes of stoppage time Brown was sent off for a second bookable offence and the onslaught went on but the ten men held on to notch up another important three points.

Stanley: Parish, Vyner, Beckles, Pearson, Donacien, Clark, Lacey, Brown, McConville, Boco, Kee

Advertisement block