Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Grimsby 2 Stanley 0

26 December 2016

Stanley suffered a third successive League Two defeat as goals from Tom Bolarinwa and Ashley Chambers gave Grimsby a Boxing Day win.

The Reds found on-loan Manchester United keeper Dean Henderson, on his debut, in fine form as they just couldn't find a way past him.

It leaves Stanley out of the bottom two on goal difference with a trip to Crewe next on Saturday.

Stanley made one change from the side which narrowly lost to leaders Plymouth with Aaron Chapman replacing Elliot Parish in goal.

It was an even start although Billy Kee had an early shot blocked while Matty Pearson rifled an effort over the bar.

Stanley were enjoying plenty of possession around the box and were the first side to test the keeper when Henderson turned Jordan Clark's effort around the post on 19 minutes.

Henderson produced another superb save three minutes later when John O'Sullivan sent Rommy Boco free but his shot was touched around the post by the Mariners keeper.

Sixteen-goal striker Omar Bogle headed over for Grimsby in the 25th minute – but it was ruled off side anyway.

The Mariners opened the scoring on 32 minutes when Bolarinwa went on a run, capitalised on an Omar Beckles slip on the edge of the area and fired beyond Chapman.

It needed a strong half-time team talk from John Coleman and the Reds came out pressing with keeper Henderson keeping out a Mark Hughes close range effort with the follow-up hooked off the line.

Kee scuffed an effort and the Reds were putting balls into the box but they were unable to capitalise.

It meant Stanley were susceptible to the break and it needed Chapman to stop Scott Vernon's header going in to the top corner.

Shay McCartan came on for Scott Brown on 65 minutes but it was then Grimsby who created the better chance with a Bogle strike deflected just wide.

Stanley needed a goal and John O'Sullivan wasn't far off with a fierce strike while the legs of Henderson superbly kept out a McCartan long range effort.

A deflection also sent an 85th Kee free kick off target  but then Grimsby sealed it when Ashley Chambers went on a run into the box and finished firmly beyond Chapman.

Both Clark and Kee had chances after that but they just couldn't find a way past Henderson.

Advertisement block